1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Knarr ("anal implosion!")

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jack Knarr passed onto the Great Beyond at the age of 74 though his body was probably 128. Worked with him for 5 years and enjoyed every second. He's the epitome of the phrase too weird to live and too rare to die. He would've been perfect for this place.

The things he'd blurt in the newsroom, many times on deadline, were uncouth and un-PC but provided comic relief. He'd call colleagues in the newsroom an "anal implosion" and it was all in jest and no one ever took it personally. Other times he'd rant and rave about syphilis or other STDs. You just never knew what was coming out of his mouth at any given moment.

All of that aside, he had a heckuva newspaper career. True newspaperman. An original. Some of the stories in the obit his former colleague wrote are the stuff of legend. Never knew about the times he talked psychos with guns off the ledge, to the chagrin of the cops.

Jodine Mayberry: Jack Knarr, an unforgettable newsman: RIP

Jack had this weird habit of typing on a manual Underhill typewriter in the library -- on deadline. I'd walk in and jump on his ass -- "What the fuck are you doing typing on that, Jack? I need your stories in 5 minutes!" -- and his response was "Get out of here, you anal implosion!" And he'd have his stories to me 4 minutes later.

Yesterday's Eagles win was for Jack.

jack knarr.jpg

Doc Holliday and Vombatus like this.
  2. Songbird

And yes, Jack really did look like Omar Sharif.

jack knarr 2.jpg

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And what would you do with the typewritten, on-paper story when he finished it? Type it into the system yourself?

4. Songbird

LOL no, I don't think he was ever working on deadline stories with that typewriter. He'd just swivel around and start pecking away on something else.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That was a great, fun read, especially for an obit column. Whatever the hell that means.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That was a good read. Seems like he had quite the personality. RIP

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Geez, I thought he died from an anal implosion. Isn't that what got Farrah Fawcett?? RIP.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I didn't know this guy, but based on what I've read, I sure wish I had. That was a wonderful tribute by the writer. RIP

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted