1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do with shithole?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My first question would be, who specifically are we protecting by not running it? And if you have the answer, look at your answer and ask if it is more important than the quote itself.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What do we do with shithole? Put Trump in it.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

NPR's Approach To A Reported Presidential Profanity Evolves

"One aside: Some listeners have referenced Federal Communications Commission regulations when asking about NPR's thinking around this issue. Profanity is generally prohibited between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., but cases are evaluated individually and the FCC takes into account context (including news value). If listeners lodge complaints, stations could incur legal fees defending the decision or see delays in renewing their broadcast licenses. Memmott said, "I think we have a strong case. This is news. This is important news."

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Back in 2008, the Times tiptoed around this issue in its obit of Earl Butz. The lead was....
    Then, after several graphs that dealt mainly with his rural childhood and American agricultural policy in the 20th century, they came to the only thing that he's still remembered for....
    Then, more on his all-American upbringing and a heart-warming anecdote to bring it all home.
    Earl L. Butz, Secretary Felled by Racial Remark, Is Dead at 98

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

6. Slacker

For all you youngsters out there, the uncensored version ...

Butz started by telling a dirty joke involving intercourse between a dog and a skunk. When the conversation turned to politics, Boone, a right-wing Republican, asked Butz why the party of Lincoln was not able to attract more blacks. The Secretary responded with a line so obscene and insulting to blacks that it forced him out of the Cabinet last week and jolted the whole Ford campaign. Butz said: "I'll tell you what the coloreds want. It's three things: first, a tight pussy; second, loose shoes; and third, a warm place to shit." – WIKI

I recall it being bastardized pretty quickly as "loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit."

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So my question here is, what did your media/employer decide to do with it?

My newspaper shit-canned it. No way was it publishing shithole no matter who said it.

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

NBC did that Friday night and it sounded like the reporter said 'asshole'.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The year the Rolling Stones were the halftime performers at the Super Bowl (the year after Nipplegate), some lyrics were censored. AP referred to one of the words as "an euphenism for a male rooster." I saw that on the wire and it took me about 10 minutes to stop laughing. The rest of the newsroom looked at me rather strangely the rest of the night.

10. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Strongly disagree with this perspective. So, in your mind, a random fan saying "shithole" should be weighed the same as the President of the United States? C'mon.

You run it in text and I'd argue strongly you run it as the headline too.

11. Slacker

I'd run "shithole" in the text and maybe run "sh*thole" in the headline.
    Plan B would downgrade the hed to "sh- -hole," which would suck. Plan C would suck worse.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Your ass would be out of a job too.

Draft saved Draft deleted