1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Since we are on the topic of Brody:

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That last one brings back something I wish they'd do more of, too, these days -- pins without a real finishing move beforehand. It would be good to see someone win without hitting their big move, esp. in the street-fight style matches. Just win because you beat the crap out of the other guy. Or if you hit them with a chair to win, don't follow with your finisher. Just get the chair shot behind the ref's back and pin the guy. We still sometimes see the surprise small package, but I think there should be times we see people just get beat down and lose. Could save some of the "how did he kick out of three RKOs" nonsense.

3. John B. Foster

Totally agree with you.

One thing that caught my eye in the pin. The timing of Dory’ attempt of kicking out is incredible. It’s right after the referee taps his hand on the mat for the three-count. Some times it’s the little things.

JRoyal likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m hardly an expert on Brody’s career, but I tend to believe he wouldn’t be all that much different than what Mick Foley was in the modern WWE.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not at all. Brody was a much better athlete and the opposite personality of Foley.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Was he that different from the Cactus Jack persona?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Brody's personality was more the tough brawler whose mind was somewhat off-center. Cactus Jack was more a crazy lunatic who happened to be in a wrestling ring.

Now, if you really want to talk about crazy in-ring lunatics, look up Maniac Mark Lewin.

8. John B. Foster

This is 100% accurate. Brody wasn't a terrific wrestler. He went out there to brawl and fight. You need those type of wrestlers in every promotion. That is why he was such a hot commodity.

I am very old-school when it comes to wrestling. This is my one of my favorite Brody promos. Simple, but gets the job done and his point across. Miss these type of promos.

QYFW likes this.
  9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not sure if I saw it on here already but looks like Paige's in-ring career is done at 25.

She suffered an injury at a house show wrestling Sasha and they thought it was minor but it turned out she's got the same thing that caused Edge to have to give it up.

Wonder who they'll get to take her place in Absolution.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or keep her on as a manager who only takes the occasional punch off the ring. She's quite good as a talker.

As much as Vince doesn't care to have managers, there really is a place for them.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I agree, Baron. Just sucks because of everything she went through to get back and now to get hit with this.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Never say never. She's 25. They cleared Nikki Bella. They eventually cleared Kurt Angle. They'll clear Daniel Bryan in due time. I just hope they keep her on TV in a talking role, or make her an NXT announcer, anything so she doesn't spiral back out of control. Lots of medical stuff can be invented or developed before she's too old to work again.

Draft saved Draft deleted