1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sopranos - 19 years ago today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sea Bass, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Saw a story today that said The Sopranos debuted on this day in 1998. Coincidentally, I just finished re-watching the entire series earlier this week. A few thoughts came to mind after watching the finale:
    • The series has held up extremely well, it’s still as funny as hell with dialogue that still works
    • Annabella Sciorra was the hottest of all Tony’s goomahs.
    • Certain themes of the show would never fly today; mainly the parts that showed just how much these guys hated gays (but just gay men lol).
    • The way the series ended still rankles me after all this time
    • After decades of searching, I have still not found a strip club with talent as hot as every Bing Girl in the show. I will press on, however.
    This is all. Just some thoughts from a guy who can’t sleep.

Chef2 likes this.
  2. My biggest pet peeve with the show is it NOT showing the female Italian mafia boss, Annalisa Zucco, naked.
    Total Smoke Show.

[​IMG]

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Paulie: The guy was an interior decorator.

Christopher: His house looked like shit.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I loved the ending. Absolutely loved it.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I've watched enough YouTube clips, including the ending, to have probably ruined the show for me, but I've never watched an entire episode. I get the sense from your "still stands up" comment that maybe I should.

Sea Bass likes this.
  6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've watched the whole series twice through, and when I come home with a hearty buzz on weekend nights sometimes, I'll cue up and old episode. Man, does it hold up well.

Love College and Sopranos Home Movies.

True story: To this day, I make my scrambled eggs with sour cream. Call 'em gangster eggs. Thanks Ralphie.

Kato likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw every episode when it originally aired, except for 1 when we were flying back from a wedding.

I think that the intervention scene might be the funniest thing I've watched on TV. It's only spoiled by the line that Tony was going to die of a heart attack when he was 50.

It's a shame that Nancy Marchand passed away, because the Livia-Tony interactions were amazing.

I also thought that David Proval was amazing as Richie. I have no idea why he wasn't a star.

Double Down likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought it was a show that kind of overstayed its welcome a few seasons, but the first few seasons were brilliant. And, of course, without "The Sopranos" there is no "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad," "Game of Thrones," "Boardwalk Empire," "Orange is the New Black," and a hundred other shows that are available right now that I couldn't even name.

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Bobby: Mom started going downhill after the World Trade Center. You know Quasimodo predicted all this.
    Tony: Who did what?
    Bobby: All these problems - the Middle East, the end of the world.
    Tony: Nostradamus. Quasimodo's the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
    Bobby: Oh right. Notre Damus.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sopranos hit a lull ... they shouldn't have extended the final season like they did, and it was clear that some of those episodes were filler. I understand why it happened (actor availability, etc.). The back half of the final season was outstanding. And I had no use for the episode where Junior sits in the graveyard talking to his old flame. Only episode I skipped on the rewatch.

12. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Might want to rewatch it. I don’t think you’re remembering it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted