1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a terrible confession to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't know how to say this, and it isn't easy for me, but I feel like I need to be honest. I've... I've... Well, I've started writing in coffee shops. I always thought that was for poseurs, but now that I'm working on a couple of my own projects and don't wade out into the world as much, I like getting out of the house and sitting at a table in the window of the local coffee shop. I stay offline and watch the world go by and drink coffee and actually write pretty productively. Not like dumb poems and shit. Real writing, for money.

I'm sorry to every coffee-shop writer I've dismissed as a beret-wearing twat.

I am you.

Thanks for listening.

2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Not the same thing, but I went from writing /editing at home to going to a workshare filled with funky people doing all kinds of jobs (video game designers, web developers, architects) and I'll be here as long as the cost is manageable. Nice to get out of the house.

3. typefitter

We're supposed to get a couple of these in my little town soon. I can see myself using them.

The only thing I miss about writing for newspapers is the newsroom. I loved it.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What about good poems and shit? Is that acceptable?

I was in-between jobs years back and ended up at the coffee shop a few times. Never really got anything done -- other than a few chapters of Crime and Punishment. Too loud.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I was out... you pull me back in.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's not the same. A third of the people and most are wearing headphones.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. typefitter

I bring my headphones in case there are a group of old folks shouting at each other, but I don't mind a hum.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. typefitter

I get that. My newsroom days are late 90s. Pre-cellphone, headphone, batphone. Good times.

QYFW likes this.
  10. Songbird

Pearlman's got the corner on coffee shops.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I can't read for any extended period of time unless I have a quiet spot to myself. Writing, I can get in the zone and tune everything out. Reading, I get easily distracted.

Vombatus and typefitter like this.
  12. Songbird

Never know who you might meet in a coffee shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted