1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sports Writing 2018, Jeff Pearlman guest editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He might become the first guest editor to choose material written strictly by him.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Only eligible if you voted for Hillary.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does that knock anyone out of contention?

QYFW likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll give him credit for encouraging people to send notable work his way. I don't think Glenn Stout reads every good story in a given year (who could?) and after all these years of editing he's got some biases (as anyone would). So if Pearlman discovers a great story on his own and includes it, bully for that writer and the book itself.

Tweener and QYFW like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Well, he doesn't actively hate sportswriters, so that's a plus.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Canadians.

8. Dick Whitman

I like Pearlman's work, for the most part. And he's wildly successful at what he does. I think. (Not like I'm privy to his sales figure or advance checks.) But he pretty frequently shows that he doesn't know a ton about ... sports. And doesn't necessarily care to. Fifteen to 20 years ago, I'd be all right about that, when I thought what happened on the field was secondary and really just a well supplying grist for us to tell stories. I guess it won't matter much in this format, which is largely feature-driven. But it's slightly bothersome.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can’t imagine that would make much of a difference.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Interested to know what leads you to draw that conclusion about his lack of sports knowledge. Specific instances in which he’s advertised his ignorance? I don’t appreciate a lot of his attempts at social or political commentary, which often seem narrow and prejudiced, but I’ve not encountered the same reaction when reading, say, his understanding of the nuts and bolts of amassing a good baseball team.

11. Dick Whitman

He's openly antagonistic toward any kind of analytics, for one thing. I'd have to go back through his voluminous body of work for examples, and I don't have either the time or materials to do that today. But it's abundantly clear if you read him consistently that his understanding of sports is pretty lacking. He finds that stuff tedious, I think. I do remember that his breakdown of the Herschel Walker trade was pretty good.

I don't think that I'm saying anything that Pearlman would necessarily be embarrassed about, by the way. He's not that kind of sports fan. He's not sitting around breaking down Alabama's defense against Georgia offense or tracking how many "barrels" Jake Arrieta surrendered last season as compared to seasons past.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

His interview with his nephew where the kid lists his favorite DJs has to be up there.

Draft saved Draft deleted