1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Person by Kristen Roupenian (and what it says about relationships)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hermes, Big Circus and Double Down like this.
  2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

OMG. That's one of my favorite tweets ever. I'm dying.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have to say I definitely get a first-time-this-person-has-ever-read-a-short-story vibe from a lot of people in #HotTake land.

Double Down likes this.
  4. Double Down

I've seen a ton of people who didn't even realize it was fiction before reacting to it, just started attacking the author assuming it was an essay.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I love the Hold Steady but would have no clue what that meant if it weren’t for this thread. It’s frigging brilliant.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not the intended audience for that piece. It was meh. Sorry, just an opinion from an old fart.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Nothing seemed to stick. By the time I got to the end, I didn't particularly care about either character.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I read it. Was mildly amused by both characters, but as a 45-year-old guy who got married at 22 and, therefore, never dated when the Internet existed, I couldn't relate to them.

How out of touch am I with modern dating? "Baby It's Cold Outside" makes more sense to me than the Cat Person story ... ;)

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just thinking hypothetically:
    What if the author was male and the two characters were reversed?
    Young, good-looking male college student working at a movie theater meets older, overweight woman who like Red Vines and is a bad kisser.
    Not physically attracted to her, borderline repulsed, yet likes the attention and interested in her interest in him.
    With no true interaction, he constructs a mental personality for her.
    When it turns out not to be close to who she really is, he rejects her. Doesn't end it cleanly. Doesn't respond to her for a while and then finally ends it.
    She gets creepy and then something extremely hateful.
    the end

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The author would not get a 7 figure book deal

12. Double Down

It's a playful exercise, perhaps one that would be an enjoyable satire of modern fiction tropes (Sam Lipsyte writes dark and funny stuff like this and he's well received) but certainly the reason this resonated with so many women is it mirrored many of their real life experiences. I do think the scenario you laid out is a likely reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted