1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Doug Jones worked his ass off and threaded a needle. Of course the Post stories made it possible, but the fact that Moore didn't even campaign for the last two weeks reminded me of Martha Coakley laughing when people suggested she go out and shake hands in the cold around Fenway. Moore's wife's speech about "and our lawyer is a Jew!" was so ridiculous it would have seemed dumb in a sitcom. But if Jones hadn't busted his ass and won over black people and independents (which he won handily) it wouldn't have mattered.

Webster, Iron_chet, Slacker and 4 others like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Objective journalism is getting harder to find.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I know this is one of those concepts that may very well be beyond you, but, it's *both*.

This is Alabama. It's a 30-point Republican advantage with neutral candidates in a neutral environment. Democratic enthusiasm post-Trump and Republican embarrassment of Moore both contributed to bringing that 30 points down to minus-1.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And, likely as not, a run-of-the-mill Republican wins it going-away in four years.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes. But moments like this can go a long way toward shaping what a run-of-the-mill Republican looks like in four years.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama resident who voted for Doug Jones here.

You're welcome.

Good night.

Webster, HC, melock and 26 others like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Oh you mean he’s a shameless partisan twit? Do tell...

melock and WCIBN like this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable with the side I'm on -- in intellect relative to stupidity and in political stance relative to candidates who believe Muslims can't serve in the Congress or that homosexuality should be criminalized or that taxes should be elevated on the middle class in order to benefit those who don't need the breaks.

TowelWaver likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not just shameless, thoughtless

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Turnout looks to be about 10 percent higher than the S0S predicted/hoped. The PredictIt market went nuts. People were making more than $10,000 today. Moore was at .86 two hours ago. He's now at .03. The comments are priceless.
    Will Roy Moore win the 2017 U.S. Senate special election in Alabama?

The result is impacting other markets as well.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't YankeeFan argue that Demorats in Alabama should all vote for the write-in candidate because he had a more realistic shot than Jones? How is that idea looking now?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let’s talk about those oven doors to which you were referring earlier, champ ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.