1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cat Person by Kristen Roupenian (and what it says about relationships)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Funny, the author wrote:
    The first draft of the story came fairly easily—I wrote it in a feverish burst—but I did feel self-conscious, afterward, about the verisimilitude of the texts, especially because Margot is younger than I am and there’s nothing more embarrassing than someone older trying to mimic the communication style of a slightly different generation. There are fewer of her texts in the story for that reason. I liked writing Robert’s side of the conversation, on the other hand, in part because I felt like I was his analogue as a writer: both of us were trying to imitate how someone younger would talk, always on the verge of a slip that would give the game away.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Robert sounded like Tom from Daria pretending to be a female writer giving voice to a male.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. Songbird

Speaking of verisimilitude and Daria, I always loved how they used that word in this episode. 3:40 mark.

Mr. Timothy O'Neill: [Mr. O'Neill is driving his car with Daria and Jane in back seat] Sometimes I think film is even more a mirror of the times than the novel. Do you think this is because of its greater verisimilitude? Jane?

Jane: I can't really hear you back here. Road noise. Plus, I don't know what verisimilitude means.

Daria - S02 E6 Monster by Daria Full Episodes - Dailymotion

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

So, how well did the cats fit into the storyline?

5. Songbird

She never saw them so maybe they didn't really exist just like the real man she thought she'd found when they first met turned out not to exist either.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You missed out on one of the great novels of this era, sadly. I don't think O'Brien writes females particularly well, but Mary Anne's role in Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong is not flawed for that reason.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I’m in the middle of the story. I will give my thoughts later this morning. Not that the world waits with baited breath for them, but because I want you to know someone will be along to at least add his two cents.

8. Dick Whitman

(One thing that rang true: Mrs. Whitman and I actually have a bottle of sex whiskey - actually a plastic jug of tequila - in the room, too, mostly to help us come down after bedtime battles.)

9. Songbird

#greatbandnames

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

To help you wind down after sex, or after fighting about sex (or lack thereof)?

11. Dick Whitman

"Bedtime battles" as in fighting the kids to go the fuck to sleep. It's not an easy transition.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That's not what I expected at all.

My girls go to bed pretty easily unless the 3-year-old is overly tired. When that happens, it can be a battle.

Draft saved Draft deleted