1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports director, Detroit Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 3, 2017.

1. albert777

albert777 Active Member

You forgot News 2000.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone hired for this job?

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Looks like we have a winner.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Dang, he looks young. Which just means I'm getting old. Here's wishing him the best.

5. Fran Curci

He's probably a great guy but 11 months in Detroit after being preps editor in Knoxville. Well, it's not 1999 anymore .....

6. bevo

bevo Member

He is young. Gannett doesn't think anyone over 35 can do anything digital. And it's been that way for at least 5 years.

jr/shotglass and Fran Curci like this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

WTF is a “sports director” at a newspaper? Only other one I ever remember seeing was at a paper in Texarkana. Just assumed it was title inflation.

8. Fran Curci

Certainly that seems to be the case. I was shocked at some of their editor hires. An assistant Metro editor in Detroit went from there to being editor of one of their decent-size papers.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

This is a trend, guys. Publications, particularly those owned by Gannett, can't/don't want to pay anyone anything anymore. They've found that they don't have to. That means a lot of younger folks will get opportunities.

Three years ago, for example, USA TODAY hired someone months out of college to be a national college sports writer. From what I know, it was, in part, about money.

This young guy in Detroit is probably just as talented as the next guy. But there are a ton of talented folks out there, and not all are in a position to take, say, $40,000 to $50,000 a year.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You will see more "sports directors" than "sports editors" hired in the current era. "Editing" has become somewhat of a dirty word around digital-based newsrooms.

bpoindexter likes this.
  11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Got to know Chris when he was the main preps guy at the Clarion-Ledger. Good guy and did a great job covering preps for the C-L. Whether he's up to the task of shepherding the sports coverage in Detroit remains to be seen, but he's done well every place he's been thus far.

Draft saved Draft deleted