1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Redskins reporter, The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Hot and Rickety, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Big-boy or -girl jobs get no bigger than this:

The Sports department is looking for a reporter to cover the Washington Redskins, one of our most high-profile and important beats. We are seeking an energetic journalist with a record of distinction covering a professional sports beat. We need someone with a strong eye for breaking news, sharp storytelling skills and a demonstrated ability to take advantage of digital and social media opportunities to enhance and complement their reporting. A successful candidate will be a fast, smooth writer comfortable reporting breaking news, analysis and features.

If interested, please contact Matt Vita (matthew.vita@washpost.com) , Matt Rennie (matthew.rennie@washpost.com) Mike Hume (mike.hume@washpost.com) or Tracy Grant (tracy.grant@washpost.com) by Dec. 14.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I thought this gig was just filled by a woman from the Buffalo News. Or is this a distinct position?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike Jones left recently and I think she filled that job. Someone else left - can't recall the name - and is going to Bleacher Report

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Someone left there for bleacher report? Guess bleacher report is a big boy job also.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Also in the recent past, one of their sports designers left to go to B/R. Read into that what you like as far as if it’s a big boy job or not.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Young guy leaving Washington Post for Bleacher Report does seem a little odd. The previous guy left for USA Today .. Both in the last couple of months. Maybe the Post isn't paying what you'd expect?

Tweener likes this.
  8. ss90

ss90 Member

Mike Jones left the Post to become a national football writer for USA Today, that's a good job. If it wasn't there for him at the Post, then that's his right. I'm sure the nation's top sports section at one of the best papers can pay its people well enough.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Nobody doubting that it's his right.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it is that you feel like you're on the farm team by being in the toy department. Sure, you're on the biggest sports beat in town and it's a great section, but nowadays everyone's paying attention to the Post's political journalism.

Or it may be the money, as Fran said.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Put it this way, USA TODAY isn't paying its writers a ton, either. It's a Gannett paper, and some national sports writers have left recently. It wouldn't shock me one bit of it was to make more money elsewhere.

So I don't see someone leaving The Post for USA TODAY for better money. Perhaps it's just for something different because covering the Redskins could get, you know, old real quick.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Devoting more resources to politics means less is going elsewhere, if logic follows. But cuts on one of the biggest, if not the biggest, beat in the sports department?

Draft saved Draft deleted