1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The upside of office flirtation? I’m living it’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't really follow the Solo/Blatter thread, but I definitely think Rolling Stone is an example of this. I thought that journalism sucked from the jump. But it wasn't impossible to say so publically without being cast as a rape apologist but a lot of otherwise smart people. That Bradley guy got hammered by liberals until it turned out he was dead on. (Happened here too, so Twitter's character limit may not be the issue.) I can specifically remember Marin Cogan (who has written for a bunch of great magazines) calling Bradley a rape apologist and having to walk it back.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think my response to that would be that the rigidity begins at Twitter, partly due to the character limit, then bleeds out to the culture at large.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but lots of this isn't all that new. In 1996, as I pondered an academic career, a guy published an amusing (and daunting) little book Generation X Goes to College. Lots of the same dynamics. Not criticizing @Alma, BTW ... just noting that this stuff has been percolating for quite a while.

4. Dick Whitman

With Jackie - and there were posts here along those lines, from journalists and ex-journalists - people wore it as a badge of honor that they were snookered. What mattered wasn't that others were right, but rather that their instinct to begin with was to have an ounce of skepticism. That was still considered shameful.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's hurt journalism immeasurably. It's trained a generation of journalists to look down on anything and anyone - including themselves - not doing "deep dives," "hot takes" and longform. But, then, it has hurt most things.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m going to laugh so hard when creepy Joe Biden is the Dem’s 2020 nominee.

I’ll still laugh if Warren or Sanders is the nominee.

7. Dick Whitman

I'll laugh when any of them go Reagan-Mondale on your guy.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see you share Mike Cerenovich rumors about gang bangs that Kristen Gillebrand had in college with the caveat you're not pushing the story, just pointing out that people are talking.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that @YankeeFan is cystitis in human form, but I think it's a subject worth raising.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Not if they are the high-waisted variety!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course I was fooled by the Rolling Stone article.

I believe women. What’s wrong with you that you weren’t fooled?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Coming from today's finest example of scrofula, that's high praise indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted