1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm not "pretending otherwise." He may very well turn out to be a smashing success. Hell, I hope he does.

Instead, my point was aimed at you guys--the UT fans--not Pruitt. Y'all look even sillier now for throwing that Schiano shitfit because "he's not good enough, we're entitled to someone much better", only to instead end up hiring someone with a far less impressive resume than Schiano.

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    franticscribe and wicked like this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can't argue with any of that.

But...

If I'm a Tennessee fan, I'm not happy with a guy whose crowning achievement is finishing second in the Big East a couple of times before going to the NFL and getting his ass handed to him. Plus, he's generally viewed as an asshole.

I get that Rutgers was a dumpster fire before he got there and finishing second is a hell of an achievement. I get that failing horribly in the NFL isn't necessarily an indicator of how he'll do in a return to college.

Yeah, after the humiliation of the past couple of weeks, Schiano looks better and better... but I could never get excited about that hire if I'm a Vols fan. I'd take my chances with an up and comer.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they don't give Leach a serious look. Well-known name, good at recruiting, familiar with the conference, already at a Nike school. Plus the Tennessee flirtation shows he's willing to leave, and he doesn't have the AD (Moos) in Pullman anymore that hired him and acted as his buffer.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No shit. See Nick Saban with the Dolphins before Bama, Pete Carroll with the Pats before USC, Petrino with the Falcons before Arky/UL, Holtz with the Jets before Arky/Notre Dame, etc.

Judging by history, UT perhaps should've viewed Schiano's stint with the Bucs as a big plus. College coaches taking a failed detour in the NFL have had a way of serving as a harbinger of very good things to come.

I dispute how "generally" true this is. I don't think those at Rutgers viewed him that way, nor do they at Ohio State. That's solely based on his NFL stint, and this ain't the NFL.

But, whatever, even if he is ...umm, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, etc..... Since when has being an asshole ever precluded one from being a succesful football coach? Again, judging by history, that ain't exactly a knock. The best coaches tend to be assholes.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

So they trashed Schiano's name for...Jeremy Pruitt eh? I think Tennessee fans are hoping for Kirby Part 2 and they might be mistaken. Hell of a defensive coordinator with the talent but he's never given me the impression he has the patience or composure to run a program or deal with the boosters that love to have their egos pumped and Tennessee is full of them.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think it's an interesting way to go. He's been a DC at a Southern superpower for the past five seasons (FSU, Ga. Bama) but doesn't have any head coaching experience. It definitely has a very Kirby Smart vibe to it. I really wish they could have gotten Leach.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much do the DCs do under Saban?

Pruitt may be the bestest coach ever, but UT and its fans deserve four consecutive 1-11 seasons for what was done to Schiano.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Leach would "fit" at Oregon - they don't tend to want the coach to overshadow the program. Leach's personality would push the Ducks "branding" to the background.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Did Fulmer even consider Leach? My impression is that once Currie was booted that Tennessee lost interest on Leach. I also wonder how much ''advice" Fulmer expects Pruitt to rely upon. I can see a situation where Fulmer expects to make many of the major decisions like who the coordinators are, etc. Leach would never tolerate that and Fulmer knows it. On the other hand Pruitt might.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was listening to a podcast this morning and Michael Lombardi said that in its glory days Nebraska had a scheme set up where in-state kids would get a full scholarship from some civic organization. So when we heard about a ":recruited walk-on" at Nebraska that was actually a kid on a full ride from from a Kiwanis club somewhere. That meant that Nebraska had a lot more scholarships to give out and had really good teams. Lombardi said the NCAA had put a stop to that.

For whatever reason you don't hear much anymore about walk-ons anymore at Nebraska. Why is that.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have always wondered how a school in a small population state, one in which 11-on-11 is not a given in HS ball, could win national titles.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've explained this multiple times.

Schiano was the spark that finally caused a revolt within the boosters and administration and caused the House of Haslam to come crashing down once and for all.

The Haslam cancer had infected the program for years and would have infected it for many more had it not been removed. It's a cancer that extends far beyond "one football coaching hire."

So no, they didn't trash Schiano's name for Jeremy Pruitt.

They trashed it to get rid of Jimmy Haslam, who had basically picked the previous crappy ADs and picked the previous two crappy coaches (both of whom had experience, too!!!). And they'd do it every day and twice on Sunday. Regardless of what kind of job Fulmer does as AD, at least we know his decisions are NOT coming from the owner of an 0-12 NFL team sitting in a $4.1 million mansion in Bratenahl, Ohio.

Please let me know what head coaching job Schiano will have in 2018, so I can eagerly monitor his success, OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted