1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2017 college football coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Hudspeth was a reasonably hot commodity at one point, wasn’t he?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I read somewhere recently that they have no -- as in zero -- recruits committed. I'm not a recruiting guy, but that seems to be a bit troublesome for a football program with the first signing day in a week or so.

3. tapintoamerica

He's an SEC guy, which means his reputation is probably safe from being maligned on the rock on the UT campus. But what does conservative hero Clay Travis think?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Until he hired a guy who steered recruits to a phony baloney ACT testing center and had to vacate 22 wins and a conference title, yes.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So Greg Schiano drew howling protests across the state for not being good enough.

But a guy with zero head coaching experience at any level is OK?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes. He has the same head coaching experience as the coach of the SEC champions and three of the playoff semifinalists had when they were hired as HC.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I dunno... if I have my choice between Greg Schiano and whatever is behind door number two, I think I take door number two.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, a difference is Kirby Smart had been a big name touted as one of the hottest prospects out there for years.

Conversely, I had to google Pruitt to find out who he was. Can't say I was impressed by the resume. As recently as 06 he was a high school assistant. That's quite a leap in one decade from high school assistant to UT Head Coach.

Hiring a Bama DC simply because "well, it worked for Georgia" doesn't strike me as the most prudent strategy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. tapintoamerica

Not a lot of imagination in SEC hirings.
    Q: Did he work for Saint Nick?
    A: Yes.
    Great! Hire him!

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can't say I agree with that. Schiano did a tremendous job at Rutgers. Took over perhaps the worst program in the country at the time and transformed it into a consistent winner, they went from 1-11 in 02 to 11-2 in 06, and continued winning during the remainder of his years there. Yeah, he had an ugly NFL detour, but this ain't the NFL, in college he's done nothing but succeed.

He certainly has a far more impressive resume than Pruitt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And Dabo Swinney worked in real estate for a couple of years after getting fired from Mike DuBose's staff in 2001. How hot a future coaching prospect was this guy at the time? Was Clemson promoting him to HC in 2009 the most prudent strategy?

None of us has a damn clue how this stuff will play out. So quit pretending otherwise.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

If he'd been able to keep it in his pants during his time in Tallahassee, he might have the FSU job today.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted