1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help with wrestling

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by csludwig16, Nov 26, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Most reporters wear a singlet.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

With tights.

ringer likes this.
  3. cjericho

Should've been more clear when asking if it was a team tournament. If it is team vs team, not individuals in brackets with team scoring, you don't need to worry as much about the red and green ankle bands. Are all the teams in your coverage area? The focus probably will be on the winning team, unless they're not one in your area. But if one or a few kids dominate, you could write a lot on them. Try to get records and places in the district, region and state for the schools in your area.

4. csludwig16

csludwig16 New Member

It is individuals in brackets with team scoring, I believe. Five of the teams are in our coverage area, so I'll probably focus on whichever teams/wrestlers from those schools do well.

Thanks for your help!

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I equate team wrestling with team track & field. The participants can get excited about the team end of it, but the fans are there for the stud individuals.

6. cjericho

Seriously? You ever cover any wrestling in the Lehigh Valley or Pittsburgh area? There's a number of schools in those areas where a dual meet is a lot bigger than the school's basketball game.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You're right. It's more a matter of personal preference with me.

8. csludwig16

csludwig16 New Member

My editor told me I only have to be there for the championship matches. These questions might seem dumb, but: how do I know which matches are the finals? And how do I find out the scores of the matches I can’t get to?

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Let me guess, you're from Texas or somewhere in the south. Welcome to the board, pardner.

10. csludwig16

csludwig16 New Member

Lol I'm actually not, although I did go to college in the south, which is where I picked up the "y'all" habit.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I have been to a wrestling tournament, but every one I've ever been to has a spot somewhere inside the building with brackets posted by weight class and individual match results.

All that may be electronic these days, I dunno, but they used to give those bracket sheets to the weight class winner along with the tournament medal.

Also for the final round of a high school tournament, they typically consolidate to one mat and go weight class by weight class, one at a time. In other words, it should be obvious because that is the only mat running, while they'll still have two going during the semis and more earlier in the day. If there's a time crunch, they might run two mats for the finals, but that's unusual.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Just messin' with you. Woulda sworn you were a southern boy!

Draft saved Draft deleted