1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can somebody explain how the Senate votes 98-1 to impose sanctions on Russia, Trump refuses to faithfully execute that law, closes the office that is supposed to execute that law and nobody cares?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Do you think, if it were true, they would have said yes?

Have you ever hired someone? Do you know why you hired them? Is that the same reason you publicly say why you hired them? (Or didn't hire someone?)

I mean, this is where discernment comes in. Ask any NFL GM, on the record, if they chose not to sign Colin Kaepernick because of national anthem stuff. Do you believe them?

Discernment tells me nobody's gonna say "yeah, we hired this person, who turned out to be great and brilliant, in part because of what she said about her Native American roots, and, boy, aren't we lucky we did, because it sure turned out." Because that makes the people doing the hiring look, well, like they wanted to throw a nod to "diversity." Everybody know how a "yes" answer would look, so the opposite argument emerges.

The same with politicians. They're full of it. We know they're full of it. When we know someone in our daily lives who acts like that, we call them a "politician" as an insult. Nobody believes politicians because we instinctively believe (and, in many cases, know) they're feeding us a line of shit. What they say on the record is BS.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    doctorquant likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What quarter is that?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He's already violated his oath. There's no reason to give a shit if nothing is to be done about it.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Warren is, as best as I can tell, of Scots-Irish stock from Oklahoma. I take it as a matter of course that anyone of such background would likely have at least some Native American ancestry. Indeed, I should probably not be surprised to find that I am a distant relation of hers given the similarity of our backgrounds. And like her I could easily relate tales of Cherokee ancestry of murky specificity. Also like her, I could point to a childhood at the lower edges of the middle class and, crucially, nary a moment spent in the company of anyone with more than a trace of Native American ancestry.

The distinguished Senator never checked the Native American box until well along her way in an academic career. I find it awfully convenient that, only then -- when it really, really could make a difference -- she decided to embrace her Native American heritage.

But, I'll concede ... there's no evidence. Just a lot of ... convenience.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If you really don't think the rest of the board sees you three in lockstep, there's not much I can say to convince you.

8. doctorquant

Depends on the field ... and whether you wanna work at the CHYMPS* level ...

*Columbia, Harvard, Yale, Michigan, Princeton, Stanford (and similar)

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are an enormous asshole and plenty of people see that, too.

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I do not. And it would be either history or English

11. doctorquant

No ... it's even worse for them. At my middling research university, a humanities opening will draw 200 applications, half or more of Ivy League or similar pedigree. Bless their hearts.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's not an answer.

Do you seriously believe we're coordinating against you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.