1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But she didn't.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's considered "trolling" here.

I think journalists tend to be really big picture people.

That's all I got.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The do-it-yourself DNA kits are making some folks realize grandma's stories of being a quarter Cherokee aren't true after all.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why is Trump calling Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas?

"Warren’s former opponent Scott Brown has requested that Warren would take a DNA test to prove her heritage, but that bioethicist Nanibaa' Garrison, a PhD in genetics, told the Washington Post that it “wouldn’t do any good.”

"It's really difficult to say that a DNA test would be able to identify how much Native American ancestry a person has," Garrison told the Washington Post."

7. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey, asshole, you might be a professional failure, but I don’t make fucking coffee.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There is a thing in academia called the Law of Gravity. It means you almost never wind up working at a school higher in the pecking order than the one at which you took your terminal degree. There are a few -- a very, very few -- exceptions, but it's called the "Law" of gravity for a reason. Among that topmost echelon of law schools, the faculty are exclusively graduates of other topmost echelon schools. And even when someone beats the law of gravity, it's only after decades of scholarly productivity. When my former dean, an economist, went up for full professor at Wharton, her evaluators sniffed at the pedigree of one of her recommenders being at the University of Arizona. Never mind that he'd just won the fucking NOBEL PRIZE IN ECONOMICS! Wisely, unwisely, fair, unfair ... that's the way this shit goes.

Now let's consider Pocahon ... Senator Warren. She took her J.D. at Rutgers-Newark. After a few years in private practice, she leveraged some rather mundane teaching experience and nondescript scholarship* into tenured full professorships at the University of Texas School of Law, the University of Pennsylvania School of Law, and finally Harvard Law, where she was the only graduate of a public law school in the entire tenure-track or tenured faculty.

You and others might say, yes, but she's really smart and did thus-and-such good work and blah blah blah. That's nonsense: The top law schools crank ones out just like her by the hundreds every year. Well ... like her except for one small thing.

You say the idea that she benefited from "being" Native American is ridiculous. I tell you, her having gotten within a time zone of where she wound up without "being" Native American is ... it may not be ridiculous, but it's certainly ridiculously improbable.

*Her scholarly work is, as I understand it, widely cited, but it's in a pretty narrow field that is not the stuff of Harvard Law et al.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Damn, you should be a teacher or ... something.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah. Have you seen my RMP reviews? Only one chili pepper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.