1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet another shooting, this one in California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 14, 2017.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

We had a shooting outside my school today. Had to go on lockdown

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yes. Gun sales increase after every one of these. The NRA is no longer a gun safety or general member advocacy group; it is a front for the firearms industry. Whenever one of these things takes place, the NRA says, "We need more guns and fewer restrictions." Without fail, sales rise after these. Bump stocks,of which virtually nobody had heard before Vegas, have gone way up in popularity since.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Didn't the GOP just make it easier for people with mental health issues to get guns? Wasn't there either the removal or rejection of a mental health clause? If that's true, that just seems... well, it seems insane to me. Who thinks mentally unwell people should have guns?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

To bastardize a supposed Michael Jordan quote, “Hey, the insane buy guns too.”

In my experience, the most imbalanced people I know are a helluva lot more inclined to own guns.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

Had zero business being married either.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

There's someone for everyone

10. CD Boogie

My mother used to say something similar all the time: “god makes ‘me and he matches ‘em.”

Maybe. But maybe only for a few weeks, months or years. This poor woman got shot and put in a hole.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If not for quick thinking by the school officials, we'd have another bunch of dead schoolchildren.

Parents were dropping their children off at Rancho Tehama Elementary School, a tiny building in a rural stretch of Northern California, when they heard the first shot. Almost immediately, two more gunshots cracked through the morning air.

It was just minutes before school was supposed to begin on Tuesday morning. The school secretary made a snap decision: Lock down the school. She and other staff members ushered children from the quad into the school, quickly urging nearly 100 young students inside, along with four teachers, aides and parents, said Rick Fitzpatrick, superintendent of the Corning Union Elementary school District.

Children were still hurrying in when the gunman’s white pickup truck came tearing down the street and crashed into the school’s locked gate. A man later identified as Kevin J. Neal jumped out, wielding a semi-automatic rifle and wearing a vest packing additional ammunition, authorities said. Children were still hurrying into classrooms, Fitzpatrick said, when the head custodian looked around a corner.

Neal raised his rifle, targeting the custodian, but it apparently jammed, Fitzpatrick said. By the time Neal cleared the jam, the last student was inside and the school was locked down.

Within 10 seconds of the lockdown going into place, Neal was standing in the quad where, moments earlier, children had been playing.

California gunman killed his wife before rampaging through community and targeting school, police say

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted