1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about Band-Aids?

[​IMG]

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ha, just to be clear, I'm not saying no big deal when it comes to rock stars. Just speculating on why there aren't more headlines about the music industry.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I know that!

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a backstage scene at a rock concert. Doesn't there need to be some standard of common sense here about what you've been invited backstage for? A certain amount of consent is implicit in accepting the invitation. She walked into the room and he's naked and hard, was that not a clue about he was going for even before he walked over to her? (BTW the girl who was asked "Do you fuck?" is not a victim in any way. She said no, he moved on.)

As harassment goes, the rock 'n roll scene is not one that's going to be shocking, and I'm not sure about the use of "victims" here.

5. MisterCreosote

Lots of women want to bang rock stars. I'm guessing they mostly weren't there because a fucked up power dynamic put them there.

Not the same as a fat, old Hollywood producer who holds your dreams in his hands.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Um, dude, she was 15 and excited to meet the band. She wasn't expecting to walk into a room to see a naked adult man standing at full staff. No, no amount of consent was implicit in getting what she thought were backstage passes. To what standard of common sense do you want to hold a 15-year-old at her first or second concert?

If you don't think that girl was a victim, well, I try not to get into name-calling on this board, so I'll just leave it there.

As for the other girl, the point wasn't so much that she's a victim, it's that the band was going around to every teenage girl they saw and asking the same question. At some point, they probably found one who said yes. And I doubt they checked ID.

Also, my point wasn't about "shocking" anyone. In fact, quite the opposite. Given the idea that this type of behavior is common on the rock 'n roll scene, it's quite surprising that there hasn't been a spate of victims coming forward with allegations, the way they have in other industries.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What about a record producer?

8. MisterCreosote

I have no doubt they are as sleazy as your typical movie producer.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Solid
    Six.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I am in no way condoning anything with a fifteen year old more complicated than her sixteen year old boyfriend trying to get to second base. Adults have no business being there. I'm certain that some record producers, A&R men, etc play the casting couch power game when they can. There are numerous stories about female musicians being hit on by disc jockeys while doing promotional visits. That sort of thing is as reprehensible as any of the other such things in this thread.

My post was in response to the Maureen Starkey post. I had not even read the one below when I wrote it.

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

2 percent is low enough for you to blindly believe every accusation. Good to know.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's enough for me to make belief a default assumption, yes. False accusations tend to unravel under inspection, and the harm that comes from skepticism is notable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.