1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"You're not as dumb as you look."

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Twitter is essential for the niche area of sports I cover, and it’s fucking hilarious most of the time for “in-game” happenings.

That area of sports I inhabit has particularly embraced Twitter, specifically, so that’s made it essential.

There’s negative, and as a visible account in the sphere I get a lot of that, but so what? I’m a big boym

I think the most valuable aspect of Twitter, and my following specifically, is that people can ask questions. I do my best to answer every single reasonable one, and I think people really appreciate it.

3. SnarkShark

This is a very good point. About a year ago, there was a prominent figure who died in the sport I cover.

It was late, even on the West Coast, so I was one of maybe two or three people working to try to break the story. We all knew he was dead, but couldn’t confirm it until I got his daughter (in her early 20s) to talk to me on Facebook messenger.

If I had to rely on phone conversations, which I was also hammering that night, I wouldn’t have been comfortable publishing until at least the next morning.

4. SnarkShark

JFC. Listen to yourself.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You have Snark in your name. You said something snarky and dumb, not for the first time. I called you on it. I didn't tell you to fuck off. I didn't tell you to lick my ass. I pointed out that your bad point was bad. That's how this place works. You can't handle the back-and-forth, that's your issue.

Also don't hack up quotes. That's bad journalism.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How much revenue does it add to the company? That's how "essential" it is.

And no one would have been any worse off.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

News feed, aggregation of links, much more than a news source, so to speak. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

9. SnarkShark

I kinda get your first point, but this one is terrible.

I shoulda waited until the next morning instead of chasing down the storynl that night, because “no one would have been any worse off”? If I have that attitude, I’m not sure what I’m doing reporting anything at all.

I hustled that story down and beat my competitors. Waiting until the next morning would have been lazy.

10. SnarkShark

I didn’t “hack up” anything, Mr. Journalism Professor. I took two sentences you used out of the top of your post. And this isn’t journalism, anyway.

You continuously show you are self-important and condescending in this forum.

I expect your next piece to include full transcripts of all your interviews, too. Wouldn’t want to put out quotes you “hacked up.”

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hope you got all the credit when others reported the story the next day. And I hope it's the first story listed on Google when someone searches for "xxxxxx xxxxxx dies."

12. SnarkShark

Our competitor actually published off a second- hand source soon after I filed, which was shitty but that’s not the point.

It was a very big name in our sport who died. Probably a Hall of Famer, eventually.

Not running it down when it happened is counter to every journalistic instinct I have. You thinking it was all about being “first” is silly. My story was thoroughly reported and ready to read by our customers that night, or in the morning.

If I was a “oh, I’ll just wait to get it in the morning” kind of guy, I wouldn’t be doing my job.

Draft saved Draft deleted