1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Thursday night NFL games?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Should the NFL nix Thursday night games

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. The NFL was stupid for thinking NFL players are built to play on 2+ days rest

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They have 3 year careers on average and apart from the top 10% they are replaceable. I wish they would but it will never happpen.

Is there any doubt that Brady would be the first high profile scab?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No doubt. Quarterbacks are the problem. They are de facto management and act like it. I covered the 1987 strike (weird fact, players were striking for the basic deal they have now) and of all the QBs, Marino was the only one who stuck with the union till the dismal end.

JC likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that having your unsupported claim questioned bothers you so much.

It doesn't take a scientist to track this. Just find out the number of injuries in Thursday games and compare it to the number of injuries with a full week or more of rest. Just because you don't want to bother to back up your claim with evidence doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Here's the fun thing about science. Sometimes we find out the results aren't what we expected. And sometimes the results fit our expectations, but they give us more detail. Maybe players are more likely to be injured in Thursday games, but how much more likely? What type of injuries do they suffer more?

Your assumption makes sense, but that doesn't make it a proven fact. I'm sorry that concept seems to be so slippery for you.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He couldn't lift his arm at the end of the season.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Congrats on adding to your world record. TL; DR

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're right, and we all know the owners end up walking away with the better deal in these kind of contract negotiations. But the players can't have it both ways; you lose the right to bitch about playing on three days' rest when you go ahead and sign a deal that allows bad scheduling. There's plenty of give and take in contract talks and if the players want to make this a big deal, they can (but probably won't).

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is the Thursday sample size big enough to make a valid comparison? It's only been a season-long thing since 2012. What if it's a "night" thing and not a "Thursday" thing, as in players are more likely to be injured at the end of a long day at 11:15 p.m. than at 2:25 p.m. Lots of variables to consider when comparing something as freaky as some injuries are.

8. outofplace

That is all true. It would be useful to include data from all night games, or at least all games on any day but Sunday.

You are probably right that it would be hard to put together valid data. My point all along has been that just because we don't have the data doesn't mean it is okay to just go with our guts and claim that the point is proven.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You might also need to compare injuries for teams playing on Sunday following a Monday night game.

10. outofplace

Draft saved Draft deleted