1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Thursday night NFL games?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Should the NFL nix Thursday night games

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. The NFL was stupid for thinking NFL players are built to play on 2+ days rest

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Something happening to Richard Sherman is no reason to change anything. Only thing that picture is missing is someone standing over him and asking, “You mad, bro?”

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The poll is not because Richard Sherman got hurt.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and playing 3 days after is going to increase the chances of this happening.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is the first time you've heard complaints about players playing 3 days after?

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Link?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Interesting theory. Rest does not help a player who is banged up.

It very well could have snapped but playing 3 days sooner certainly increases the chances it will.

7. TheSportsPredictor

You can offer no link to anything that says players suffer major injuries because they play on three days rest.

You should be able to provide a study that shows a straight ascending line for the number of injuries suffered on three days rest, on six days rest (from MNF to Sunday), on seven days rest, on eight days rest, and so on.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please just stop. I think Sherman is a bit of an asshole, too, but it is still quite shitty to cheer an injury to any player.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Starting pitchers should pitch every day.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Old Hoss Radbourn salutes you.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Haven't we seen evidence that pitchers need rest, including specific tracking of how their performance declines when the time off between starts declines?

TSP is simply asking for evidence to back up the theory being advanced by Songbird and JC. I'm not sure if the research has been done, but that doesn't mean you just accept the theory as truth even if it does make sense.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Meh, I didn’t cheer; I just didn’t care. Call me human

Draft saved Draft deleted