1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Thursday night NFL games?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Should the NFL nix Thursday night games

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. The NFL was stupid for thinking NFL players are built to play on 2+ days rest

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree at all, but I think the injury definitely falls into the "bad look" category. It's like Dusty Baker riding Mark Prior hard down the stretch in 2003. Would Prior have broken down anyway? Possibly. We'll never know. Was it advisable? Probably not.

It's true that people get hurt in practice, too. But if you've ever competed in a sport, and I know most of us have, you know the intensity of game day is something different.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My over-arching point is that the NFL player's body in no way, shape, or form is built to play 2 games in less than 80 hours. It's just not healthy.

But I would concede that a compromise for keeping Thursday night games, as someone else noted, is that the teams must be coming off their bye week.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No doubt. I'm just saying that you can make an argument that Sherman's Achilles was going to go, so it's a bit unfair to claim he only ruptured it because he played in a Thursday night game.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Should they kill Thursday night games? I don't care. I don't watch them anyhow.

Which probably says something.

5. Dick Whitman

I usually do watch the game. I admit it.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm actually annoyed when I see the Steelers play on a Thursday, mostly because I know it's probably going to keep me up late and my days start early.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait. Thursdays were reserved for college football?

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’ll say it again, why can’t the teams playing on Thursday night come off of a bye the week before? You can expand the schedule to 18 weeks with 2 byes if they don’t want every team playing on a Thursday. Seems pretty simple.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You know his Achilles ruptured because he didn't get an extra three days of rest?

Sherman himself said his Achilles was bothering him all year and he tried to avoid making direct cuts. I doubt that he made a direct cut just because he didn't get three extra days of rest.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The first two sentences are true.

The final sentence is as true as saying Sherman was injured because he played on Thursday night.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think that makes the most sense. I imagine they don't want them going consecutive Sundays without a game.

12. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

Draft saved Draft deleted