1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ban Thursday night NFL games?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 10, 2017.

?

Should the NFL nix Thursday night games

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. The NFL was stupid for thinking NFL players are built to play on 2+ days rest

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Christian Petersen/Getty

Down goes Sherman with a season-ending Achilles rupture. Didn't even seem that bad when you watch it.

But it's just one more example of why the NFL should get rid of Thursday Night games. Bodies were not built to withstand this much pressure with so little rest between. I can imagine how difficult it is to play on 6 days rest let alone 2+ days. Not to mention, do the ratings even support Thursday Night games? I've never watched an NFL game on Thursday night, probably never will.

Anyway, not sure why the NFL would put these elite athletes at so much risk by making them play with so little rest. It's beyond dangerous. There are already too many injuries.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

100%.

It’s fucking nuts. Limit it to Thanksgiving and arrange it so those teams are coming off their byes.

I Should Coco and YankeeFan like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The players want the games to end. So the games will go on. Can’t let the inmates run the prison.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Joe Thomas tore his biceps in a Sunday game after playing 10,000+ consecutive snaps.

Deshaun Watson blew out his knee in practice (thought some are attributing it to a tackle in a Sunday game).

Sherman's injury has nothing to do with playing on Thursday night. He's never missed a game. Career started in 2011. That's more than 100 games played in a row. His Achilles has been bothering him all year. Time caught up with him.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think I have a solution to this problem. If Jerry Jones sues the NFL, move the court schedule to hold hearings and trial on Thursday nights. I'd sure watch that before I'd watch Seahawks-Cardinals. Would be prime time's hot new hit, especially if they make the lawyers wear Color Rush suits.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Those Seahawks uniforms looked like something Oregon puked up after a night of drinking absinthe.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I stopped caring about the NFL when they started treading on college football's reserved weeknight.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

You have no idea if this is true or not.

This is like when my dad, wasting away from emphysema, would rationalize smoking by ticking off the names of non-smokers who died young, too.

10. Dick Whitman

College football now treads on high school football's reserved weeknight. The NFL isn't alone in biting the hand.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You know that 3 extra days wouldn’t have helped his Achilles?

If injuries are inevitable they may as well play Tuesday’s as well. Fuck them.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP goes a little too far the other way, but the ground beneath Songbird's original post is every bit as shaky. He doens't know that playing a Thursday night game is the reason Sherman got hurt. The Achilles was a problem for him all season, which makes it likely the tear was a matter of time and could have happened just as easily in a Thursday practice.

The overall argument against Thursday nights is a good one. It does seem to add to the physical toll on the players and next week will be the only non-Thanksgiving Day NFL game I watch on Thursday night all season. Unless the Steelers are playing, I might flip by for a few plays on a Thursday, but that's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted