1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com amnesty, or, the dumbest thing you've ever posted here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

God, I wouldn't know where to begin. I have a life-long compulsion to call out assholes when, a lot of times, because of that compulsion or otherwise, I'm the one who is actually being the bigger asshole.

That said, I'd probably seek amnesty for a lot of the attempts to play off my own perceived persona that ended up being taken seriously here and are part of my board legacy. There are a significant percentage of posters here who still believe that I:
    • Think Scottie Pippen played on Arkansas' national championship team;
    • Tried to earnestly convince people that "prominent posters" were PM'ing me for my courage in speaking out about some long-forgotten banal baseball matter;
    • Really meant that I would make a poster cry with my surgical debate skills.
    And on and on.

That blue font is your friend, but it always felt like cheating to me.

In hindsight, I'd employ the damn blue font.

Oh, and I wouldn't have gone after Riptide so hard about Jim Boeheim. I thought we were just talking shop. But that little exchange ended up triggering the single most destructive and long-running unhealthy relationship I've had here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You are becoming more self-aware, DW. Good!

BTW. Welcome back!

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Self-aware Dick is my ______ Dick.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Her debut, sans parade of breasts.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had my a-hole moment just the other day on a golf message board that I frequent. I was calling out another guy for his b.s. but in doing so made a big math error (I should stick to writers' boards) and a dozen guys quoted that and ripped me for it. I felt bad for the flub but, yeah, the piling on is quite a phenomenon.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Being at the center of a Twitter storm or something similar is a pretty fucking bracing experience.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why?

8. Dick Whitman

Because I don't like when people are acting like assholes.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, all I’ll say is she’s lucky that wasn’t her audition tape.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I regret going after you for that post every chance I got. Most of the time it was in jest, but beating that dead horse was probably only funny to me. I have a special knack for annoying large groups of people while entertaining myself.

11. Dick Whitman

My brother from another mother!

FileNotFound and TyWebb like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At least half of this board shares that special knack.

Draft saved Draft deleted