1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running Tiger Woods thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He will be in medical miracle territory if he can play competitive golf again. I don’t see it.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The only reason I want him to come back and be competitive is because Brandel Chamblee said it is impossible. I'm not a Tiger fan, but I can't stand Chamblee.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Odds are hugely against him. A back surgery, let alone multiple back surgeries, usual are the end of the line for high-level golf.

I always thought Fred Couples would have 4-6 majors if not for his bad back.

That being said, Boom Boom is always hanging around at Augusta. That's the one place Woods, if healthy, could put together a good week and contend.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

During football season?

Or do you mean next spring when serious golf starts at Augusta?

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not out of the question. Woods drew a huge number for the crummy Wydnham Championship a couple of years ago when he was trying to make the FedEx Cup.

Yeah, a bit before football started. But I'd say he'll still draw a lot of eyeballs, at least as a curiosity. If he plays a full schedule and sucks, then people will start tuning out.

Tiger Woods Gives CBS a Ratings Lift at Wyndham Championship

6. TW announcing his return to competitive golf has about as much meaning as Terrell Owens coming out of retirement.

Until TW proves he can play - and as noted, the odds are against him - he's not back. Yeah, his return will initially move the needle, but if he's not competing, interest will fade. Quick.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This exact conversation has become an annual sj.com tradition. And tigers season always ends badly by the spring

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think this is too soon. Probably should take a year to perfect the swing and then come back.

9. I think he should take a year. Then retire.
    Then wait a few years until he hits 50 and try senior tour.

He won't. TW is still chasing Jack's major record.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. Tiger is still not chasing Jack's record. Well, he is chasing Jack's record much in the same way that Jim Furyk is, and Phil Mickelson still is.

Remember, not only is he injury prone, he has battled the chipping yips to a degree we rarely see on the PGA tour. He isn't nearly as long as the best drivers now, and his putting is not where it was 10 years ago.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Which, really, is all any of us is saying. He could "come back" 73 times, and he will initially move the needle.

12. I think TW believes he is chasing - and still has a chance at catching - Jack's record.
    No, I'm with you: not sure anyone else believes it.

Draft saved Draft deleted