1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN Cancels Barstool Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 23, 2017.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...and when John Skipper and Walsh both flew out to personally cancel us, he said at the time he'd never do anything like our show again. Guess "never" was relative.

I won't be mourning when he gets shitcanned; he knew what he signed up for.

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

A big second on this. I watched that over the weekend and really, really enjoyed it. Lots of great clips (Carell and Colbert were two of the main on-air performers as well as writers) and current-day interviews. Definitely worth a watch if you're a comedy fan.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As far as short lived sketch shows went, I loved both the Dana Carvey Show and the Ben Stiller Show. I think the Carvey show aged better.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Please restrict your whining about the world being mean to President Trump to the politics thread. Thank you.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Certainly going to regret weighing on here, but I will say as a regular listener to Pardon My Take, there isn't any misogyny in PFT and Big Cat's podcast. They're very smart and funny, and PFT might be the smartest person doing satire right now.

If it's possible to be employed by Barstool but not subscribe to Barstool's ethos, they do it. Now, the brand is still the brand, and Portnoy is awful, but there wasn't going to be misogyny on that show. I predict eventually Katz and PFT will outgrow the Barstool brand, and leave.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Agreed. They need to jump ship ASAP.

Of course, I didn’t know PFT was with Barstool (or had forgotten it) until all this happened.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

“They’re coming to The Athletic. That’s what we do: Gather talent.” — Alex Mather (probably)

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So who is the target audience for Mike and Jemelle at6pm?

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rob King

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Fair enough

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, there is a lot of discussion about this. I don't know enough of Barstool's internal politics, but it was not an accident Skipper wrote his memo that way. There is a theory that ESPN may specifically offer those two a job.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you enter into a strategic partnership with someone, then cancel it and then hire away the former partner's talent. ... what are the ethical and/or legal issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted