1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2017 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FileNotFound, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In Major League II, they reveal that the Indians got killed in the first round of the playoffs and Ricky Vaughn was particularly bad.

Then again, they also reveal that he had a girlfriend who was a social worker who we never saw in the first film and that he he had dumped her for his blonde agent. Which also meant that Vaughn may have cheated on her with Suzanne Dorn.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK.
    A few things.
    First and foremost, Major League II never existed. IT NEVER FUCKING EXISTED. What a travesty.
    Second. In the video clip posted of the Angels/White Sox.....Eddings got the first part right.....just point to the ground.......he fucked himself by signaling out. The runner was never out until they threw it to first.
    Third. I didn't watch much of the game last night, and I haven't seen the clip, so I can't speak to what Jeff Nelson did. If a batter gives himself up, the tag is assumed, but Nelson should have still signaled that it hit dirt.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My guess - and only a guess.

"Yo, we love rainouts. You can pitch tomorrow."
    "Problem is, I feel like shit. Let me drug up, tell Tanner to stay ready. Let's see how I feel."
    "Uh, uh, fuck. OK."
    Then he woke up and pitched the game of his life. As noted above, he can pitch. In his past 66 innings - SIXTY SIX - he's given up earned runs in ONE of them. ONE.

Strasburg is an interesting dude. I've followed him pretty closely. Went to his debut with a ticket. Amazing. Covered him a couple of years. Not a bad guy at all, just a major introvert who would love to be anonymous. Talented as hell, had some trouble adjusting to the fact that major league hitters were, too, and tended to overthink things. Finally figured out, just pitch, use what you got and whatever happens happens. And since then, when healthy, whatever happens is usually pretty damn good.

No idea if they'll win tonight, in my DC sports fandom I've learned to never be overly optimistic. I'm just glad he went out there yesterday and showed some King Kong sized stones and got it done.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe just maybe what they did with Strasburg a few years back was the right thing to do.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He and Adam Muema should get together and go bowling.

6. Moderator1

No question there. And they weren't breaking new ground. A lot of teams used the 160 limit. It just never happened to fall like it did with him, during a playoff run (and they really didn't expect to be that good for another year). They stuck to their guns, took the heat and were proven correct.

I'd love to write a book on the guy someday. Or maybe it's just me but I find him fascinating.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think all the stuff that has happened around him is fascinating. He doesn't seem to have any thoughts about anything.

But that changeup last night ... my goodness.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Go on...?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I said it yesterday.
    That changeup is absolutely unhittable.

10. Moderator1

He threw one early in his debut. Jaw dropped. I was sitting with my son. My daughter was in another section with her then-boyfriend.
    Batter is walking back to the dugout, bewildered. I get a text from my daughter that said: Got wood?

Yeah, it is that good.

Get him away from the stadium and he's a little different. Not much. I went to one of their fanfests once, they're bring the players into a room to meet the media before they went out and did the deal with fans. He slipped in the back and I happened to be right next to the door. Shook his hand and congratulated him on the birth of his first child. He actually smiled and chatted a bit about the baby. Asked how I was doing. Again, not much but a hell of a lot more than we'd ever seen in the clubhouse.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3 playoff starts, 19 innings, 24 Ks, 4 BBs, 1 Earned Run. WHIP 0.947

That’s pretty good

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and here I thought that all the Dr James Andrews around here had it right. He was just soft, no heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted