1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They aren’t a real news organization then. This would be like the New York Times suspending Jodi Kantor because the paper ran an ad for “Shakespeare in Love.”

Like I said, she’s more courageous than me. I agreed to change my book title at the WWL’s request so as not to anger the Big East.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure ESPN can afford to warehouse its most visible employee.

In fact, the opposite might be more true, that they try to find a way to position her right out front - as they have done since she went to work there.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I can't imagine this was ever said but this probably is ESPN's view.

"We are paying you (700?) thousand dollars a year to anchor a SportsCenter where we have shown we really don't care about the ratings. You can say what you want. We really don't care. But you absolutely cannot F with our business partners.

Much smaller scale: One of our major advertisers tried to sell me a lemon last month. They recognized me on the lot and they STILL tried to sell me a registered lemon and not disclose it. I found it in the AutoCheck.

If I go to Twitter and say anything, I'll get fired.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For sure. I don't think this is that complicated. Bill Simmons -- who really was a visible employee that people associated with ESPN -- called Roger Goodell a liar. He was suspended. He was gone within a year. ESPN is into the NFL for something like $15 billion. It's also pretty much the thing slowing down an inevitable decline.

Now skip forward. Jemele Hill does the Trump tweets. ESPN really doesn't want to step into that controversy -- it can only end badly for them, because someone is going to be offended -- but they find out they have to step gingerly. When they tried to take her off the air, there was a mini-revolt. So John Skipper sends out a memo saying, "ESPN is not a political organization. ... we have social media policies because what you do 'will reflect on ESPN.' Cool it."

A month later come the boycott tweets. I am sure Skipper was sitting there pulling his hair out and thinking all kinds of things, including what you just posted.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So you don't think she had a right to talk about the protests (politics!) as they relate to the NFL? Even when the president jumps in? I don't know how you ignore it as a prominent young black voice.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Like this:

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course she could. It was noting that people could boycott sponsors.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Potential economic ramifications are important aspects of the story. It's the reason the NFL is in such a tizzy trying to thread the needle here.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Link?

10. YankeeFan

Duh.

11. YankeeFan

What's the downside/risk?

Do people watch ESPN and SportsCenter for the on air talent, or for the games, and highlights?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They fired Bill Simmons, who had more of a profile than she does. At least before she became a national news story with her Trump tweets.

If ESPN steps carefully about phasing her out and just making her go away, it will be because they know there will be people alleging racism if they drop a heavy hammer. That is her leverage right now. When people move on to the next thing, she might not have the same leverage. What @exmediahack has said makes sense to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they hide her as best as they can, phasing her out slowly, until either her contract expires or they can cut the cord without racism charges.

Draft saved Draft deleted