1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jemele Hill suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 9, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I denounce myself.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How is this real life?

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

He probably thinks he could have beat T&T, too.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Remember when Dan Quayle was as dumb as it got?

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

This guy makes Mr. Potatoe-Head look like Einstein.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

ESPN still has one card that it can play. The airtime card.

For too many of us in TV, airtime is even more important than salary. To us, TV airtime is like oxygen is like playing time for NBA players. (Example: if I got moved to reporting or to a lesser newscast, I'd move to another market -- even if was smaller and for less money.)

Once her suspension is up, ESPN could do a series of phaseouts, both to limit her influence on the air and also "cool off" her potential earnings and offers.

I don't know how long her contract is but, say, it's until May 2019. ESPN can cut the promotion on SC6, let it die off quietly within a year and then re-assign her as a writer or correspondent or special contributor until her contract is up.

The hope, from ESPN's view, would be that, by 2019, Jemele Hill will have made other missteps on Twitter that people just tune her out. That way, other networks won't need to book her so she can go loose cannon against Bristol on their airwaves.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hi Jemele. Hope you are off of Twitter and are reading this thread.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In the comparison with Simmons/ESPN, I think it's different in that he didn't need the TV airtime for his platform.

Simmons was the reason to read Page 2 for years and had launched Grantland and 30/30. While he isn't great on TV (although his podcasts are a must listen for me), he has four or five different platforms.

I see Hill only as a TV personality with Twitter. This often happens to writers when they get the visibility and salary from TV.

Twitter is tricky for us. The bosses tell us to engage but we have to be really boring. No strong opinions. Hell, I can't even rip our sports programs. The older I get, the less benefit I see from it all.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Kornheiser couldn't comment on how people dress.

Wasn't twitter but still - how many people has ESPN suspended after a first offense?

Jemele apparently cried when meeting Skipper after the first offense. I wonder how it went if there was a second meeting? I think crying is out, and she may be more likely to dig in and get even more defiant. Then explode.

This story is far from over. ESPN appears to be sitting on a ticking time bomb.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You wrote it better than I would have. Why let her win by firing her and letting her becoming a martyr? Put her on the badminton beat for 2 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted