1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can we talk about NBC for a minute?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, CBC. Somehow I thought it was part of the NBC coverage. Fuck.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

George Carlin once called Michaels a "balls-on-chin cocksucker" for how he treated politicians and Hollywood elite on his show.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Haven't they been taking pride in how "New York" the show is for decades now?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You don't have to go too far back for ol Brian Williams.

The Today Show is unwatchable for me.

I do want to have a little grace for NBC, which probably feels like it's been outflanked in the "liberal" department by Disney/ABC.

It does have "This is Us," which going to be on TV for a long, long, long time. And it wins primetime thanks to AGT and Voice.

I watched a lot of the Olympics; "dumpster fire" isn't the word I'd use to describe the coverage, and Dan Hicks is, IMO, one of the best in the biz. BUT...the Billy Bush stuff was bad. I'm guessing some NBC suit uttered the words "Jesus Christ, Billy" more than once during the Olympics fortnight.

I could talk about this stuff all day, but I think it starts with the morning show and the late-night show.

Given CBS clear desire to produce a news-focused morning show - which automatically loses viewers - and the slapdash quality of GMA, The Today Show should actually dominate the ratings. That it doesn't, IMO, is a commentary on the Today, not the quality of GMA. (Which has regressed and is generally a shitshow when either George or Robin is gone.)

Fallon has been reduced to James Corden with better guests. He seems sad that Obama's not president anymore, instead of angry Trump is.

Colbert, meanwhile, turned "The Mooch" into high art for 2-3 weeks. I hadn't laughed that hard at a broadcast late night show in awhile.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

How Top NBC Executives Quashed The Bombshell Harvey Weinstein Story

This is...something. Amazing details herein:

1) Farrow paid out of pocket for a camera crew to get the interview done

2) NBC had a town hall today. That is major, major damage control.

3) Weinstein's pressure tactic of Woody Allen

4) NBC wouldn't go with it despite having Rose McGowan on-camera and the audio of Weinstein. That's insane.

Baaaaad look.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On the other thread I wondered how much of it was Harvey Weinstein's influence and how much of it was lawyers being given too much control of a news division.

I thought this was interesting: NBC News didn't even do a news story the day the story broke in the New Yorker, while the other networks did. This story says it was Oppenheimer's decision because he deemed that Weinstein wasn't a national figure. Then when Lorne Michaels was criticized b/c SNL didn't do a Weinstein skit he said something similar. The story suggests that may have been an internal talking point.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have less than zero use for Miller.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wonder if Miguel Almaguer ever sleeps. That dude is at every disaster. Mexico City one night. Puerto Rico the next. Napa the next.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

January 2014:

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Feel like this thread could be updated since it does not include:

1. Lauer
    2. Brokaw
    3. Hugh Hewitt advising Scott Pruitt while defending him on air.

Meanwhile Ronan Farrow scalped another big abuser of women ... for the New Yorker.

NBC, still doing great.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They just coaxed Peter King away from SI, so you gotta give them credit for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted