1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating at high school games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He did see me before a game last fall eating. He's also chided me for being up in the press box eating free food before state championship games.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the press box? Who the fuck does he think the food is for?

He doesn't sound competent. He sounds like he has OCD or something similar.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

He really sounds like a jerkoff. You were just eating it, not wrapping it up and taking it home, right? Seen a guy doing that years ago.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fucking photogs. Over the years, I liked 78 percent of them quite a bit. One became a longtime friend.

But there's that's other 22 percent who are just, well, like this guy.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You did nothing wrong. In fact you did something right. If you are hungry you are hungry. When I'm famished (and it happens in this business) it affects my work negatively. I consider the body like a machine. If you are doing something creative like covering a game you need to have the machine working properly. If you are starving you won't work as well. I can't believe the photog said that. I'd be OK if you ate free pizza in the press box if it was provided. Purchasing it ... good for you.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Some of the best peanuts I've ever had have come from certain HS concession stands around here. Perfectly roasted.

Bronco77 likes this.
  7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Not supposed to eat at a game you're covering? Never heard of such a thing. I wonder what your photo editor would do at our state wrestling championships? One day last year, I got there before 8 a.m. and left at 10:30 p.m.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'd tell him he can eat, too ... my dick.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

He needs to stay in his lane and cut out the interest in your culinary habits.

You should fuck his wife in his bed and leave an upper decker in his toilet.

10. Michael Prunka

Michael Prunka New Member

This escalated so quickly hahaha

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Back in the day, our college paper's photogs would stuff hot dogs, apples, brownies and anything else they could get in the press box/media room into their camera bags.

Hopefully it wasn't one of those guys (20+ years later) busting Small Potatoes' chops.

Bronco77 likes this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I usually try to eat before games, just because stuff at games is overpriced and doesn't fill me up. But I can't fathom someone having a problem with you buying a hot dog or a pizza at a game. Hell, one of the few good things about having to cover high school basketball tournaments is the free food in the hospitality room. I worked with a guy who I'm pretty sure structured his meal plan for tournament week around covering games at lunch and dinner time.

Bronco77 and KJIM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.