1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mothership lets a racial slur slip in a headline on its mobile browser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by biggy0125, Feb 18, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Suspension for slot (or whomever was the veteran leader of desk that night).

If, by some miracle, a slot never saw it, suspension for headline writer.

Save the head rolling for libel or actionable mistakes.

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

If Lin had just played better that night ...

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yep. So it makes sense that they don't want people working for them who can't avoid racial slurs without a safety net.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Poynter review.

http://espn.go.com/blog/poynterreview/post/_/id/254/reflections-on-espns-apologies-actions

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

FWIW, in the 20 months I worked there, I never attended a meeting beyond budget meetings that lasted 10 minutes every day.

So this may have been a meeting with higher-ups, and a memo to them, that was mentioned to worker bees. They just might never have received the actual memo.

Not excusing it. At all. Just saying there are good odds that this guy wasn't handed a memo, read it, threw it out, and wrote the headline anyway.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Certainly trust your judgment/opinion on that. But if that's the case, then that's a major core structural issue within the editorial division.

Because obviously someone/many people up high reacted to Big Sexy's disaster on Twitter and they didn't want THAT happening, or something like that. So there were meetings and memos ... that apparently went in one ear and out the other.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or maybe ESPN is spinning it.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, also, to be fair, Twitter has nothing to do with the deskers. So when they would consistently hand down memos to the talent ("DON'T BREAK NEWS ON TWITTER!") the desk never saw them, just heard rumors.

So if the memo went to talent/writers, the desk would likely not have seen them, if they were Twitter-centric.

Also, in my 20 months, I never saw a single mobile person. I don't know where they worked, or in what building or on what floor, but they were not part of the core newsroom.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Jeez, are we writing Where Are They Nows on everyone who displayed bad judgment or made a bad typo?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dunno ... do the others have 14-page threads?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was more depressed seeing how long it's been since IJAG visited.

Draft saved Draft deleted