1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A place for open letters to the good people of the world.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UTShooter, Jun 1, 2007.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Ladies and gentlemen,

If you're going to douse yourself in perfume or cologne, please stay out of closed-in spaces like elevators.

Thank you for your consideration,

kjim, on the 16th floor.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Dear Expedia,

Your customer service stinks.

kjim

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dear Blue Cross

Fuck you.

You know why
    dixiehack

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Hack,

That is not an approved procedure out of network.

BC

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Question,

Are people who get cremated usually buried as well? I heard a doozy of a story last night that doesn't seem to add up.

I've never heard of a cremated person being buried in a casket.

Thanks.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I mean, sometimes you put the ashes somewhere—I know a case of ashes under an anchor on an island—but I think it would be weird to bury ashes in a casket. It kind of defeats the purpose of cremation.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read the obit and there is no mention of cremation. Usually there is.

The bullshit detector was ringing off the hook as the governing body official finished his story with a pretty funny line.

But the story doesn't add up.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My dad was cremated. He's on the mantle at my mom's house.

A friend was cremated, and some of his ashes are with his parents, and the rest scattered in the three cities he called home.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I have heard of cases where people were cremated and their urn buried or placed in a mausoleum, but I don't think they bury the ashes in a casket

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

About a year after my brother died, I was in his hometown for my nephew's wedding. Before I headed home, my nephew handed me a small baggy of his remains asking me to spread them at Dodger Stadium.

I'm so glad I didn't get stopped by airport security with a little baggy of white powder in my pocket. That would have taken some explaining.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My dad was cremated and the ashes were placed in a small box and buried in a cemetery plot.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sometimes, the ashes of a person are put into the casket of their partner once they've later died. I know of several cases where this has been requested and done, and it is what my mom is leaning towards asking us to do with her and my dad's ashes, which she currently keeps in her home.

She brings his urn box/ashes out, usually, on his birthday and on the day he passed away each year, with a lit candle on the dresser next to it, in memoriam. Other than that, the box is kept put away, on a shelf in her walk-in closet, because she doesn't want the younger grandchildren to be uncomfortable with it being out on a mantle, or something, all the time. (She has a friend who keeps her husband's ashes out and tells the kids, every time they come over, "Say hell to Grandpa..." My mom doesn't think much of that.

My dad made no bones about the fact that he wanted to be cremated, so that's what she/we did. My mom, though, doesn't really like any of the options. (She says she's not going! :)).

But of the options, she leans toward being buried in a casket, and has asked that if that occurs -- she hopes she'll decide for sure what she wants by the time she passes -- that we place our dad's ashes in the casket with her.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted