1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL official admits football, CTE link

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Quite a reversal from the NFL's official position ...

The admission came during a roundtable discussion on concussions convened by the U.S. House of Representatives' Committee on Energy and Commerce. Jeff Miller, the NFL's senior vice president for health and safety, was asked by Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., if the link between football and neurodegenerative diseases like CTE has been established.

"The answer to that question is certainly yes," Miller said.

Top NFL official acknowledges football-CTE link

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hope Mr. Miller's resume is ready to go. Hell, he may have been fired already.

3. Bump ...
    Aaron Hernandez estate is suing the Patriots and the NFL on behalf of his daughter.
    He played 3 years in the NFL. That's the same amount of time he played college football.
    Why aren't they suing NCAA and UofFlorida?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or the high school district?
    Is there a way to tell if he would have had CTE if he hadn't played a down in the NFL? Doubt it.
    I don't remember details on the ongoing settlement. Were most plaintiffs players with 8 or more years of service time? Or were there like Hernandez at 3 years?

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The other thing to remember here is Hernandez admitted/was reported to have smoked a ton of marijuana. I can't help but wonder how much of a factor that is.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You working my corners?

Vombatus and LongTimeListener like this.
  7. Has anyone sued the NCAA or college-football entity for CTE-related illness?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the big question mark, though. There is little to no research about what happens to those who stop playing before the NFL.

The even bigger question is what happens to those who play only through high school.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is some research indicating that the risk of brain injury rises they start playing football. You have guys slamming into one another before their brains are even fully developed. One solution I've heard is banning tackle football at the youth levels, but I don't think there is any real consensus regarding when the human brain is fully developed. If it isn't until the mid-20s, as some argue, most football players are done playing before their brains are fully developed.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Having talked to a large number of football players over the years, I have no doubt that is true.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And angel dust and possibly other stuff.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

LMAO.

Draft saved Draft deleted