1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slinging Yang with Jeff Pearlman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Today's Yang is Wright Thompson.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I enjoy Thompson's work quite a bit. People bitch about the use of first person, but I think of him as a sports travel writer.

3. Songbird

His voice is like dark chocolate fudge straight out of the oven.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That's a douchey hat, though.

CD Boogie and Liut like this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This'll sound haughty, but he's just plain improved over the last 5 years. The Gable and Jordan and Tiger pieces - all excellent - go down a lot better for me than the India/LeBron's Cleveland pieces did.

6. Dick Whitman

"Grandpappy's bourbon" is how Boom always described it.

Pearlman has a nice little networking thing going.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

But the question has to be asked:

Is he one of the best columnists working today, or did he only get to where he is because he is a young, hard-working black woman?

8. Songbird

"Audience engagement on the Tiger Woods story was insane. I mean, people stuck with it. It somewhere feels like they're running with an 8,000-word story that people aren't reading is because they're running a bunch of shitty 8,000-word stories."

9. Dick Whitman

My thumbnail test for a story's engagement is if I see people sharing it who haven't shared beers with the writer and aren't seeking to.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That's a Twilight Zone episode right there. You make a deal with the devil to have the incredible writing ability and reporting chops of Wright Thompson and draw people in magnetically with your writing, but you have to dress every day as if you're auditioning for a production of Guys and Dolls at a Charleston-area high school for the rest of your life.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

I like his hat. I wear a fedora quite a bit. Not as awesome as his, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted