1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mother!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Human_Paraquat, Sep 18, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think so, too, but when I'd just dropped $50 on popcorn and a drink, I was pretty upset about it.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Aronofsky, but he tends to go for total immersion of his audience. The jarring camera work was to great effect when trying to put the viewer in the middle of severe heroin withdrawal.

I can see how that wouldn't be everyone's thing.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Could it have been any worse than the camerawork in Cloverfield? Fucking awful.

4. MisterCreosote

Didn't one of the actors film most of that movie himself? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Pretty sure the same thing happened with the Blair Witch Project.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I can't watch Aronofsky's movies because of the camera work. Handheld/shaky camera stuff makes me really, really nauseous, and sometimes it takes a day or two before I feel better. I always tell myself to just walk out of the theater at the first sign of nausea, but I can't seem to actually do it. "Black Swan" was particularly bad. I wasn't planning to see "mother!" because it seems very fucked up, but the camera work seals it for me.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Uh oh, I hope someone didn't catch a beating at the movie theater.

typefitter likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

No windows. Lucky break.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow, a day or two.
    Women are more prone to motion sickness and to VR sickness. I think shaky-camera movies are connected to the same issue.
    The spouse is prone to motion sickness and experiences nausea and/or headache frequently from shaky-cam movies.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT!!

Now that I have had time to think about it, mother! is either some kind of Biblical allegory as well as a parable of being a creator. Of art? Of life? Of homes? Bardem is a god figure, if not God himself. He is a poet creating his art as well as the creator of the world he lives in. He made JLaw and the world they live in, while she basically builds or renovates their home all on her own while he is off trying to write more poetry. Plenty of other characters have Biblical counterparts (notably Cain and Abel). JLaw does not, unless you consider the earth to be a character in the Bible. Bardem creates her, as God created Earth in the Bible. There are allusions to other religions, though, so it's not a straight Biblical allegory. Some environmental message in there as well b/c if JLaw is Earth, she spends a good portion of the movie getting shit on just like those Hollywood elites think we are doing to our real Earth.

At least I only spent $5.99 on my ticket. And I bought no snacks.

mother! will be more talked about on this board in 20 years than It.

10. MisterCreosote

Side note: $50 for popcorn and a drink?

Was the popcorn coated with gold?

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The only place I get motion sick is at the movies. I'm fine in cars, boats, etc., and it bothers me less on a TV than the big screen. VR scares me because I suspect it will make me sick. Can't do 3D either. Last one I saw was "Avatar" but it might have been the shitty dialogue that made me feel sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted