1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mother!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Human_Paraquat, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Is this in the movie?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

In the soundtrack?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

No Danzig references yet? For shame.

6. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a commitment. Hope you're not emotionally spent from "It" before "mother!" even begins.

7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Honestly, I felt the camera work enhanced the suspense and building uneasiness of the film. The entire film, except for a couple of shots, is either of Lawrence's face or shot from her perspective.

But I understand why someone would be put off by it, to some extent, as well.

Rotten Tomatoes currently has this at 68 percent approval from critics (72 percent top critics) and 42 percent from the audience. Rex Reed called it the worst film of the century (so far). Peter Travers and Michael Phillips among those giving positive reviews.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If everyone didn't rate mother! as the worst movie ever, no one would go see it. It's not terrible. Not really that good, either. Not sure what the point of it is.

Meanwhile, It is superb. The best episode of Stranger Things yet.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The camera work made me physically ill. Like, nauseated.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ugh, my problem with "It" (the book and miniseries, not the movie, which I haven't seen yet, and I love Stephen King) is that the villain is a "shape shifter," and whether it's Harry Potter, LOST, True Blood, or any other film/book/series, "shape shifters" feel like such a cheat to me. Drains all the drama out of the thing.

I was only a teen-ager, but that damn spider still pisses me off.

Writing a "shape shifter" gives the writer carte blanche to take the story anywhere he wants, to have almost anything happen, and twist his/her way out of it. You literally cannot write yourself into a corner when your guy is a "shape shifter."

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that was done on purpose, like it was in Requiem. It "fit" that movie, though. And it fit in Black Swan.

Draft saved Draft deleted