1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mother!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Human_Paraquat, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

... as in the new Darren Aronofsky film starring Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem.

This is going to be a polarizing film, in part because it has been marketed in such a way that viewers will go in expecting one thing and get another. Actually they might not get it at all, and I don't mean that to sound pretentious or judgmental. There's a lot to process and I found it hard to do so in real time.

I thought it was great. Maybe DA's best, and I've been a fan of everything back to "pi."

Anyone else seen it yet?

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've seen everything of JLo.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I walked out after 45 minutes. I thought it was ponderous, self-indulgent, uninteresting, and hugely annoying to watch both for the terrible fucking camera work and the noise. Part of me after thought, Well, that's something, how it got such a visceral reaction out of me, but then I was like, No, fuck that, it's pretty easy to make something really awful to watch and call it art.

I say this as someone who likes most of Aronofsky's work and loves Javier Bardem: It was the worst cinematic experience of my life. I hated everything about it, including the lower-case m and fucking exclamation point in the title.

What a piece of shit.

So, yeah. Pretty polarizing, I guess.

Ace and Vombatus like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You talking about her film career, or what was released during The Fappening?

Vombatus likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bargain night tomorrow. Was thinking of taking in It and mother! back to back. This thread is convincing me that is the right call. I can always walk out like typefitter if two movies is one too many.

6. Vombatus

Yes.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

You had to ask?

Vombatus likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even the positive reviews of this one make me think I'm not going to see it. Maybe on HBO or Netflix.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As I mentioned on the other thread, I want to see it, but the more I hear about it, the more I think it might be too fucked up even for me.

I love Aronofsky, though. Requiem for a Dream is easily in my all time top 5. And I keep thinking mother! can't possibly be more fucked up than that was.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is it anywhere along the lines of The Brown Bunny (which I liked) in terms of artistic?

Vombatus likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Apparently there's a sex scene. I didn't make it that far.

12. Vombatus

Then they should advertise that it will occur at the 1 hr, xx minute mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted