1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this board be around in 20 years?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 6, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOL

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Unchained Dick is quickly becoming my favorite Dick.

Pity it will likely rub the right people the wrong way and end in another "voluntary sabbatical." But at least posters like Starman will continue to be able to spew his vile garbage during often civil political discussions. So we will still have that going for us.

Oh, and to speak to the actual topic of this thread: I hope this board will be around in 20 years, but I hope I will not be around this board in 20 years.

YankeeFan, I Should Coco and QYFW like this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think many of the problems at sj.com mirror the problems in newspapers/journalism.

I've been hanging around/posting here for about nine years. Since fall of 2008 — same point the recession kicked in, and for newspapers that downturn never ended.

For newsrooms, that's meant job cuts, whether through layoffs or through attrition. Either way, you have fewer and fewer newcomers with their positive attitudes and new ideas. Almost everyone who's left is a bitter, jaded, cynical survivor who has less tolerance for the other rats aboard the Titanic. When the same old arguments and problems pop up, the fights last longer and the wounds cut deeper because everyone's overworked, underpaid, and pessimistic about the future.

Hopefully in 20 years (if not sooner) I'll be posting and laughing at others on CostcoWorkers.com.

Bronco77 and dixiehack like this.
  4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As noted, I'll be posting at deadguys.com in 20 years. Likely a lot sooner. I hear that board is a little stiff. Cold, too.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Try the veal.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Which really sucks, because you'll miss the Caps' 2039 Stanley Cup run. :p

cyclingwriter2 and Moderator1 like this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Booooooo

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My motto used to be 1 Cup Before I Die. Not going to happen so I'm hoping my six-week-old granddaughter's eventual granddaughter gets to see one

HC and Cosmo like this.
  9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In two years, you'll all be griping about how much better the board was in 2017.

QYFW likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The board has been shut down for less than this!!!

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm not around as much as I used to be, but I have a hard time believing the knock-down, drag-out quotient is higher than it was 10 years ago. Holy shit, there were some great fights back in those days. Difference was eventually, at least mostly in my case, posters fought and fought and fought and eventually and weirdly bonded over the fight. Like, OK, we had our say, and you're an asshole, but I'm an asshole too and we share this corner of the world so let's be cool. There's many posters here (hi @Moderator1! hi @outofplace! hi @QYFW, whomever the hell you are) with whom I just had massive battles and would have beers with now, if our paths ever crossed (I have had beers with Moddy, come to think of it).

I'm sure the tensions are raised on the political thread for obvious reasons, but it seems, even on Twitter, there's not that middle ground anymore. Once you call someone an asshole, you have to double down (not that Double Down) and triple down and just dig in deeper and deeper. I try to stay away from arguing with people for precisely that reason. Except QYFW. He sucks.

So in summary, I have no idea if the board will be around in 20 years.

12. KeyboardKing

KeyboardKing New Member

Don't know whom you are talking about, but Tulsa is conducting a national search for an agate clerk.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted