1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett to close Nashville design studio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I applaud the MJS if they have rebelled. I wonder how Gannett will respond. I would guess the MJS higher ups are on the same page in rebelling and are united. But the threat of losing a job can break down the rebellion quickly. Gannett could fire the editor, the publisher, the sports editor, the news editor for starters and bring in some up and coming suck ups to replace them and abide by the One Wisconsin Newsroom edict. Please explain more about Milwaukee refusing to take part.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

New Jersey tried to do this... but really, the Bergen Record, Asbury Park Press, and to a lesser degree, the Courier-Post are all fighting for dominance. The small papers are mostly afterthoughts.

I think "Team Tennessee" will probably get the closest to statewide consolidation, because Nashville has quite obviously taken over.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I don't think it's MJS refusing to take part in these meetings specifically. I think they are comfortable with what they are doing and are afraid of what Gannett might do to the product and trying to control as much as possible. It's been what a year-plus since MJS became a Gannett paper and they "are still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate them" into other Wisconsin newspapers. Just corporate BS. Reliable source told me they are doing what they can to distance themselves as much as possible from Gannett way of doing things.

4. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Milwaukee is fighting the good fight, but it's just buying time. Gannett will eventually get more of its people into positions of power and it will slowly conform.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Probably but at least they are showing some dignity and take pride in things unlike Gannett big-wigs who are too afraid to admit they want the print product to go away but are too chicken-s*** to just stop printing. They think they are saving face...but it's too late for that and no one is buying the charade.

6. zachpm

zachpm New Member

Gannett PA papers writes notes to readers trying to tell them that not putting Friday night football coverage in the Saturday paper is somehow good for them: GameTimePA is changing - and here's how

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Enjoyed this paragraph:

"We will tell you about what shapes the players and coaches you see on the fields and courts, but we will not tell you what happens on the fields and courts."

8. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Hate to see the descriptive stories after a game coached by old Kansas coach Mark Mangino or Charlie Weis.

"Charlie Weis shaped by 13 tubs of ice cream in the month of October...."

Seriously what trash put forth by that paper.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The really annoying thing is they act like sports writers haven't been writing those stories for years already. They're great, and need to be done, but shouldn't be the only thing you run if you're a daily media outlet that people are looking to to learn about the most important thing a team does during the season. If you're going to do that, just go to a weekly magazine approach and ignore games entirely.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

This is the line that stood out for me. In such a fundamental change for readers in print (and since print still brings in the majority of the revenue), what are the other reasons for the earlier deadlines?

And what is the causation where earlier deadlines = improved digital coverage? Why not hammer everything for digital, then choose the best from the digital coverage to appear in print. You can have it both ways.

11. zachpm

zachpm New Member

Three design studios pumping out 100+ papers is the cause for early deadlines.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

WTF does that even mean? I'd like for one of their idiot top managers to explain that quote.

Draft saved Draft deleted