1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this board be around in 20 years?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 6, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No one on that thread is vile enough to even make it out of the primaries, much less get elected president.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As we make our list, we'll put this on the side of reasons to keep it shut down.

And that's a joke, in case you were wondering. Not sure what we'll do. Worm your way into my PMs at some point and maybe you'll understand why it is such a headache. Yes, most of the people are fine.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The real problem is not the content of the threads (at least most times) but rather the whiners who complain to moderators.

SnarkShark, YankeeFan and JC like this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Curious about the history of SJ political discourse. Was it generally okay, but got out of hand at times from 2008 onward as the country became more divided?

What's Jeff's take on this? I imagine that thread alone is pretty good for revenue. And I have no idea of the magnitude/scale of what Jeff earns off of this site. $1000 or $10,000 per year? More?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If anything, this board could get much more vicious a decade-plus ago, and not just about politics. The George W. Bush years were not a source of bonhomie around here.

A big difference though is that two posters might go to war in a thread, but they would keep it confined to that thread. Now people have sworn enemies that they stalk and/or subtweet across every fucking topic imaginable. And while people come and go on any message board and we have some good posters who are relatively new, we've lost a lot of really great people who presumably got tired of the same old drama being trotted out constantly by the same handful of posters.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In an odd little twist, the moderators usually reach out to whine to me.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Did you just out your "prominent posters?"

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The odd twist is the lockdown came partly because a poster named QYFW was ... whining. :cool:

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

dixie,

Thanks for the reply and detailed comments.

I do a different thing here - I really don't try to get into arguments. I like hearing a variety of well thought out opinions.

My main act here has led to a bit more of a perverse reputation than I meant, but my main goal is to laugh a few times per day, and if I get a couple of others to laugh each day as well, that's a bonus.

I sure as hell didn't mean to cause anyone to want to leave over the years.

I've tried to dial it back more - and knew I would have to after 20 JAN.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know thousands of waitresses who appreciate that take ...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know Boom caused one guy to leave, but that guy is a little bitch.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Well said. When so many threads start to look like duplicates of so many others, it often seems not worth the time and effort anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted