1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wichita State beat writer -- Wichita Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 6, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports reporter - Wichita State

The Wichita Eagle/Kansas.com is seeking an aggressive reporter who is ready to write a new chapter in the life of a nationally ranked basketball program. The Wichita State University Shockers have moved from the Missouri Valley Conference to the American Athletic Conference and were recognized over the summer with a No. 1 ranking in ESPN’s Basketball Power Index. This premier beat covers the news, issues, recruiting and fan-focused info of the entire Wichita State Athletics program, with a year-round focus on Shocker basketball, keeping an eye out for compelling feature stories from other sports.

The Wichita Eagle/Kansas.com seeks a journalist who can deliver exclusive reporting on the WSU sports beat that informs and engages readers. This is not a traditional beat reporting job simply focused on coverage of games and routine events. Rather, the reporter will be expected to move fast when news breaks while producing larger stories and features that make a difference in the lives of our readers, including stories that hold officials and institutions accountable.

The reporter must have demonstrated the desire and skills to build audience and engage readers on digital/social media platforms, utilizing video in all aspects of the job.

Requirements include a bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, two years of full-time experience in a digital-first sports/news environment, excellent writing, editing, planning and social media skills and the ability to produce engaging video with your work.

Send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and several examples of your best work to Steve Coffman at scoffman@wichitaeagle.com.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They're looking for an SE and filling one of their major beats?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the current writer/columnist may have been promoted to SE when Kirk became engagement editor.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Same here. I hope that's the case. Good place with good people. If Paul is leaving the paper, that would mean they've lost their SE, top columnist and strong writer on their top beat in a matter of months.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Wow. Paul Suellentrop leaving the Eagle after 18 years to cover Wichita State for ... Wichita State.

Great move for him, and not good at all for the Eagle.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

"Digital-first." Which it has to be I guess with what must be a ridiculously-early deadline, seeing as the paper is printed in Kansas City.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. That IS a big loss for the Eagle. Some proof, however, that colleges do hire journalists from time to time.

8. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

I know they are both owned by the same company, but for the Eagle to be printed 2 1/2 hours away is bordering on ridiculous for a daily newspaper.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

When did the sports writer job evolve into the job of sports videographer, blogger, writer, reporter, lawyer, columnist, and photographer for the same pay?

No way in hell I'd do all these jobs at once. These youngins coming out of college are taking it up the b-hole.

Riptide likes this.
  10. valpo87

valpo87 Member

I understand needing to do a little more than pay. Or looking more attractive to hire if you can do a lot of these things.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: video, Pivot to.

12. Skylar

Skylar New Member

Most people can't do all these jobs in one, but they say they can on their resume. And some fool everyone into believing they actually can by making everything about themselves

Draft saved Draft deleted