1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If the child consents everything is fine. HIPAA defers to state law, so if the state says that a child does not own his medical privacy until he is 16, 17, then that takes precedence. At 18 he can tell his parents to go piss up a rope if he wants... and they can tell him, "Fine, walk home then."

It specifically mentions power of attorney and court orders as also taking precedence. I don't consider those normal circumstances. It's also talking about medical records, which are a different issue in terms of the law from the results of a drug abuse screen, although getting the records would include any such results contained in the patient's chart. My scenario is more like the kid comes home with red eyes and slurred speech, then passes out. The parents drag him in to the doctor to get a test done. The doctor examines the kid, typically including talking to him with only the two of them in the exam room. The doc sends him to the lab where a specimen is collected. A day or two later the results come back and are put in an envelope with his name on it, which is held at the check in window. If they come back with the patient, you hand the kid the results. If the parents come in for it without the kid, you can't give it to them. They're TOLD this when it is collected and what it's about, but there's always some dumbass who thinks they know better, or that the law does not apply to them, or who simply didn't pay attention. Either they throw a fit at the window about the law not making sense (which we can't help), or they grumble and come back with the kid in tow and get their results. That's 99.9 %. It's damn unusual for the kid to try to cockblock the results getting to the parents, but I've seen it happen.

HIPAA law is a bitch. Hospitals and clinics have HIPAA compliance officers, much like university athletic departments have NCAA compliance officers, and for similar reasons - the regulations are complicated as hell.

This generally isn't a problem unless the kid is dirty and trying to stonewall, or if one of his jailhouse lawyer friends has told him "You're over fifteen. You don't have to give them shit."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I suspect HIPAA experts have about as ironclad a grasp of their metier as do FERPA experts.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

The cop deserves 50 years in general population

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Cop now on administrative leave per mayor's office. Hopefully unpaid, but I'm doubting it.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Paid leave.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What is it about cops that they can't ever let someone else win an argument, even if they're wrong?

I lose arguments all the time. It's no big deal.

8. DanOregon

A lot of the concern about unnecessary police shootings is due to an inability to deescalate situations. I really do hope they review every arrest this officer has made in recent years.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Paid vacation.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Has the police chief said yet why the incident happened July 26 and the leave didn't happen until the video hit the media?

Or did he just Goodell Ray Rice it?

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

Most police union presidents I've heard from and seen really do a lousy job of representing the professionalism and respect for humanity that the job requires. That these are the people police officers choose to represent them to the public is troubling.
    It's like they find the most out of shape, inarticulate, and unapologetically politically-incorrect person they can find and say "This is who we are."

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted