1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Deadspin racist Greg Howard is made to feel small by white women

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 31, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Was That Racist?

This guy was a race-baiting clown when he was at Deadspin, and he's continuing the same tired bullshit at the New York Times. I didn't see this posted anywhere here and was only just made aware of it, but he wrote a recent essay complaining that white women never cede the right of way to him on the sidewalk.

There are many times in a day when a person is walking toward me and in my path. In these situations, we both generally make minor adjustments upon our approach. Sometimes, and especially with pedestrians who are black, as I am, there’s eye contact or even a nod. Almost always, we shift our bodyweight or otherwise detour to make the pass easier for the other. Walking courteously doesn’t take much, just soupçons of spatial awareness, foresight and empathy. In seven years of living and walking here, I’ve found that most people walk courteously — but that white women, at least when I’m in their path, do not....

This happens several times a day; and a couple of times a week, white women force me off the sidewalk completely...

After these encounters, I’m always left with questions. Why only and specifically white women? Do they refuse to acknowledge me because they’ve been taught that they should fear black men, and that any acknowledgment of black men can invite danger? Do they refuse to acknowledge me because to alter their route would be to show their fear? Do they not see me? Can they not see me?​

A couple of weeks ago, I asked an Asian friend if he had the same experience of white women not getting out of his way. He said no. For whatever reason, white women see him just fine. The people who don’t, he said, are white men.
    I, for one, give way to women all the time because it's the chivalrous thing to do. I also always walk on the outside of the sidewalk when I'm with my gf.

I cede the way for all women. I do it for white women, black women, octaroons, you name it. I usually do it for men, too, because I don't measure myself by how I negotiate a fucking sidewalk. I'd guess women don't cede to him bc women are expecting men to do it. Talk about screaming racism at every turn. So the black women get out of his way? Does he walk right at them and try to play chicken? What a wimp.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I took a walk in my neighborhood once when a black guy was walking a few yards behind me. Twice we passed a guy and his dog going in the other direction. Guess who the dog barked at twice?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gah. Private Snowflake.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

some people have no respect! upload_2017-8-31_19-32-50.jpeg

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If the dog was smart, you.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Part II. How institutional racism can be explained by white women not opening the door for him.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd say the dog was about as smart as you.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Good boy.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hell, TSP, you tossed that soft pitch up there. Someone was bound to hit it out.

I was going to say the honkey.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Smart dog!

Draft saved Draft deleted