1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seattle Times bans their sports reporters from local TV and radio

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

This is a tweet from a KJR 950 A.M. radio host:

[​IMG]

SeattleSportsNet.com is the first to report on it here.

It sounds like Frank Blethen has a glass jaw and can't handle any criticism from the other media outlets, so starting Sept. 5, no more Times reporters on the local TV and radio stations.

I suppose if there's enough backlash, they still have time to change their mind and act like it never happened.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know what? It looks bad, but it's smart. I mean, it's not smart, how they did it - and, let's be clear here, there is no glass jaw like a radio host scorned - but it can help in the long run.

Writers have been giving away some of their best material on the radio for free for years. It has never made sense.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It isn't like the radio hosts can't just open the paper and steal the material anyway. I don't buy the exposure thing. Radio needs sportswriters for content more than newspapers need people to realize "Hey - there is a newspaper in town?" And when the radio people rip off the newspaper content anyway (hopefully by crediting them) it would have the same effect as if the reporter appeared on the show.
    Is it ALL TV and radio? Even out of town places?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait. Is this a ban from all TV and radio? Or just from this radio station?

ETA: OK the tweet in the OP didn't make that clear but now I clicked through and read the story.

If it's really because Blethen can't handle criticism, that's weak. But this ...

Citing “competing forms of media” as the reason behind the embargo, the Times seems willing to sacrifice much-needed exposure for… ego, perhaps?

is flaming bullshit that has been served for decades now. Somebody show me how a media company has ever made one cent from having its reporters go on other media outlets.

I don't have much problem with this decision. My only quibble would be if these gigs were paid and the Times has now in effect reduced its reporters' income.

Also, talk radio hosts are the biggest fucking meatheads in the world, and any discussion with them is likely to make the reporter sound worse.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

There's been no official statement. It sounds like all the local radio and TV stations, but I can't change the title.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This will stop the radio station from criticizing them.

TGO157 likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question, but does radio still pay some guests to come on? I remember when a guest would receive a gift certificate to a local clothier or auto shop. I know Brady makes some nice pocket change for his weekly appearances during Westwood one broadcasts and some others get paid by the sponsor of a segment, but shoot if I was going to do a weekly hit on a radio show - yeah, I'd want some walking around money.

PS - An I Heart Radio station has no business giving a newspaper crud about its financial situation.
    http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/...edia-edges-closer-to-bankruptcy-with-2q-loss/

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yes, you can edit the thread title in the first few days. Look for the tiny drop-down menu in the upper right of the OP.

9. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Found it. Thanks! Was only looking through the regular thread edit option.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

In Boston if a writer shows up in studio for an hour or two, he gets a few hundred bucks. I don't think they get shit for an interview during a segment.

Glenn Ordway used to do an afternoon show with rotating guest hosts. They got paid and we're introduced to listeners who hadn't heard of them (ProJo types) or gained more prominence in the market.

I don't think the writers doing just interviews are undermining their original product. They usually come on to talk about something they already wrote. They either flesh it out or, if it's more an opinion piece, they defend it. It's still promotion for the writers. If I hear a guy on the radio, I might look for his future work on that topic.

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Only moronic reporters are giving up their material for free. You rehash what you've written, you don't give them fresh material. Anyone who doesn't recognize the value of exposure -- not to mention learning to speak in a public forum, where brevity and thinking on your feet is key -- is making a mistake IMHO.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll cry as many tears for I Hate Radio's demise as I did for Blockbuster Video's. Ruthless bastards that have destroyed community/local radio stations for a long time. Now maybe it's their turn.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted