1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norm MacDonald live

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've seen a handful of episodes and tidbits here and there.

Just starting this episode with Letterman. The first 5-6 minutes where they talk about therapy is pretty off the charts good. They normally don't zoom in like they do here and it adds to the intensity of what they're saying. MacDonald is a deeply flawed and interesting dude.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not sure if he gets into it with Letterman, but one of the many interesting things about Norm MacDonald is that he lives in LA and doesn't have a driver's license. He takes car services everywhere.

Speaking of Norm and Letterman, the Artie Lange-Norm MacDonald-Bob Uecker talk show arc is one of the all-timers:

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The respect Dave, Conan and a bunch of fellow comedians give him is amazing

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Had no idea this show existed. Fantastic.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

One of those guys who never got the following I would have expected. He might not be as popular as other comedians, but he's a perfect example (IMHO) that popularity doesn't mean jack shit to me when it comes to artists and entertainers. Example: Markie Mark just beat the Rock as the world's highest-earning actor.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is one of the funniest appearances on a talk show I have ever seen. He was just brutal in a way only Norm could be. Hang in there till the end. It's worth it.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My favorite Norm bits are the ones I don't get at first, the ones I think bombed. I'll then go back and read or watch them months or years later and they'll be incredible. I suppose that says more about me not being the brightest, but I also think there's a subtlety and recognition of what's absurd before the rest of us realize it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

And Marky Mark plays the same character in every fucking movie he makes. He's got the range of a turnip.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He went through a phase a couple years ago where he would just tell the hackiest, oldest jokes on Conan, and it was still incredible because it was just so fucking different. Same with his "roast" of Bob Saget.

I love his podcast, although this "season" he's seemingly been more focused on actually interviewing people vs. just telling jokes. He gets quite a few guests that don't do a million appearances - Letterman, Dana Carvey - but he'll also just have weird bookings like Mike Tyson. From his past episodes, I don't think I've ever laughed harder than when he had Nick Swardson on, and they were doing X-Rated "Three's Company" riffing. And THEN, they went straight into a Mangrate commercial read that basically lost them that ad account. ("You can give this to your dad for Father's Day! Nick, is your father alive?" "No, he's dead." "Well fuck!")

Hermes likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dirty Work is a criminally underrated movie.

Iron_chet and lcjjdnh like this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Unlike the Rock.

12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Hacky? How dare you! I love the moth joke.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted