1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, Lennon would have to do an Elvis C song or two.

He mentioned he liked the song in his 1980 interviews. He also said he liked Bruce Springsteen; the Beatles doing a version of "The Rising" in the early 2000s would have been awesome.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is 'Ringo sucked' a common theme?

Somebody once told me a rumored story that on one of the later albums, John would return to the studio to record the drum tracks because Ringo was so bad.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's more likely if somebody had to re-record the drums it was Paul. But I don't think that's really true.

4. Starman

John himself had notoriously bad time -- he couldn't even run the prehistoric beat box on "Give Peace A Chance" right -- about halfway through the song he had to overdub a second beat, leading to a loud and distracting "heartbeat" effect -- so it's not too likely he came in and overdubbed drums.

Paul supposedly did overdub some drum tracks, but not so much because he was dissatisfied with Ringo, but that Ringo hadn't been there for the session. Rather than put the whole process off for weeks, he'd just do the drums himself.

The drums on "Back In The USSR" are all Paul.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding' is a Nick Lowe song.
    Elvis Costello version is a cover.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Starman

Right, so a cover-cover.

Lennon also would have done a great version of "London Calling," especially on the "phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust" line.

Paul would have been a natural on some Cheap Trick songs, like "Surrender."

Just for a laugh, i think they'd have had Ringo sing "My Sharona."

The John-Paul duet on "Under Pressure" would have brought down the house at Live Aid.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Funny. When I was a teenager, I looked backwards in time and loved The Who. As an adult, I returned to my childhood devotion to the Beatles.
    Was Ringo that bad? Let's hear what the experts have to say:

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Two more videos (and apologies for serial posting.)

This age progression thingie is well done.

Dave Grohl's cover showcases everything I love about this song:

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh, man, was that fun to watch. Thank you for posting that!

misterbc, ChrisLong and OscarMadison like this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I grew up watching "Hard Days Night" in PM after school and had a Yellow Submarine lunchbox but I was just a youngster who had no idea what they represented or what if anything they were trying to convey.

Now mid 50's I enjoy them but always feel I was too young to look at them critically.

Am miffed that Lennon was taken from us so early.

11. Starman

I was 5-6 when the Beatles really hit, in the cold black winter after JFK.

Of course I didn't know technically what they were doing, but I knew those songs had energy nothing else in 1964 had.

I was 7 when "Yesterday" came out. Even at 7 you knew this wasn't another happy go lucky love song, that sometimes when "you wanna hold her hand," she doesn't.

Later that year "In My Life" came out. I thought a little bit about my grandmother losing two of her sons (and my dad, two of his brothers). By the age of 8 I was already feeling a little world-weary.

"Paperback Writer" came out. Both my parents were journalists and I'd see them punching away at the typewriter. It was about something I understood.

The Beatles kept the punchy pop hits coming through all of this too, so you didn't get too weighed down with worldly concerns, but listening to the Beatles in real time in the Sixties you continually felt you were older and wiser then you'd been just a few months before.

I didn't take drugs. In 1967 I didn't really know what drugs were, besides aspirin. But when "Strawberry Fields" came out, you knew something very very different was going on.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    OscarMadison likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Starman's post reminded me of this lyric:

They sat on the stoney ground
    And he took out a cigarette out
    And everyone else came down
    To listen.
    He said "In winter 1963
    It felt like the world would freeze
    With John F. Kennedy
    And The Beatles."

Google Play Music

Which makes me ask, what song has the best reference to the Beatles?

I Should Coco and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted