1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite unsolved mystery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 7, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@TigerVols didn't reply to this. I think I solved it.

dixiehack and TigerVols like this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I thought it was Condit's wife.

I still wonder about this murder:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2006/02/27/cold-case-chloroform-murders/

The apartment where they were found was close to the school I was attending at the time and the woman had been a student in the undergrad program so there was a bit of a personal connection. It was such a weird murder with the staging of the scene. I remember the police believed the clock had purposely been set to a particular time as an attempt to throw off the investigation.

The part that has always bugged me was a report the couple had been seen at a local bar with an unidentified woman whose description matched a classmate (a gap in her teeth and an unusual ring, I believe). One of my closest school friends and I spent a fair amount of time discussing whether the woman could have been Mary and whether Mary could be the murderer.

4. albert777

albert777 Active Member

One I keep coming back to is a local mystery. 19 YO pregnant girl got off work at a Pizza Hut about 11 o'clock one night in 1994 and simply vanished into thin air. Her car was found at an old back-road bridge some 20 miles away, but there has never been any trace of her to be found. For awhile it was thought a murderous family of teenagers in the area near the bridge might have killed her and buried her body deep deep in the woods, which would be a year before they made their name with a particularly vicious double murder, but there wasn't much evidence to support that theory. Google the Angela Freeman case in Mississippi. It's pretty spooky.

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

The Three Missing Women case in Springfield, Missouri, from 1992 is a big deal in those parts. Two of them had just graduated from high school the day before. Calling it my favorite seems weird, but it certainly is a bizarre mystery.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Endlessly curious about the JFK assassination and who else was involved. And hard to argue with DB Cooper.

One that has caught my interest is if Pat Garrett really killed Billy the Kid, or if The Kid survived and lived to old age.

Some theories have Butch Cassidy making it out of Boliva alive, but I'm not sure I buy into that one.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ken Rex McElroy, the Missouri town bully who was killed in front of 45 witnesses, with nobody coming forward to say who shot him because he was allegedly such as asshole.

The book and movie "In Broad Daylight" was based on the case.

In Broad Daylight - Wikipedia

Liut and exmediahack like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, I'm still very curious over what happened to Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My hometown had a murder mystery that was solved after 5 years.

It gained some prominence because the murderer-- a guy I knew, and who my brother played softball with -- confessed in AA.

He had drunkly murdered the couple who lived in his childhood home. He was never a suspect, and, in fact, suspicion fell on the couple's own son.

Carpenter Guilty of Manslaughter in 1988 Slayings in Larchmont

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Sounds like one of the early Law & Orders.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The podcast thread got me started to "Listening Sideways" which is different unsolved mysteries each week. So many I had never heard of.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Burger Chef murders (Google it) in Indy are still unsolved; four employees kidnapped, killed and dumped in rural woods south of the city. All the local medias rehashed the mystery for 25th and 30th anniversary stories. Just strikes me as somewhat remarkable that it's never been solved.

Draft saved Draft deleted