1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Beatles Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, George had quite a backlog built up.
    Although he had 4 songs on White and two on Abbey Road (some say the two best).

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never sat down and done it, but it would be fun to sit down and put together some Beatles albums through the '70s combining the best of the the solo tracks from a particular stretch of time. So you might have "Imagine," "Working Class Hero," and "Band on the Run" on the same album, for example.

Where would such an album rank in the Beatles discography? Would it be too un-cohesive to work as an album? Basically a '70s Katy Perry collection of singles rather than a piece of art unto itself?

3. Dick Whitman

Is "Love You To" George? I've always said that would be my entrance music if I ever had a band. When that sitar started coming through the speakers, the crowd would know that the show was getting read to start. And they would go fucking wild.

4. Starman

There are some cool playlists on YouTube based on this concept.

Basically the Beatles would have put out strong albums every year until about 1975-76, when Ringo and George dropped off, and John went into his house husband mode.

Paul would have had to carry the freight until John's comeback in 1980.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Say they decided to do an album together and got to work 1973-74ish. Maybe it's a record with Living in the Material World, Give Me Love, Junior's Farm ( my favorite post-Beatles Paul song), It Don't Come Easy, Whatever Gets You Through The Night plus whatever they came up with together.

6. Starman

On the 70-71 Beatles album, Ringo (!!!) would probably have been the featured attraction.
    It Don't Come Easy, Back Off Boogaloo and Photograph were Grade A singles.

A 73-74ish Beatles album would have been a Ringo/Paul show.

Hell, right now, they could get together and play a show of the "Ringo" and "Band On The Run" albums and it would still be great.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Alternate reality: Lennon leaves first, and the band breaks up almost immediately, but reform as a trio around late 1971 and essentially do all things must pass and band on the run. Lennon rejoins circa 1974 after getting the crazy shit out of his system. Huge tour, but band goes on hiatus for a few years so they all can do solo albums. They do a poorly received disco album. Bring in someone like Steve Winwood or an Eric Clapton to form a super Beatles album around 1980. Fails miserably. Band breaks up again. Reform for Live Aid, but that doesn't lead to a reformation. Ringo joins black sabbath because every British rocker was joining sabbath at the time. Lennon retires from music until about 1995 when he and mccartney do a joint album that is critically hailed, but sells poorly as the kids today and the old fans want nothing but the old stuff. The rest of the guys do essentially solo act nostalgia stuff for the next 20 years and only come back together for a 4oth anniversary tour. Plans for a 50th tour get halted because George refuses to play Beatles crap anymore.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When I first heard "Give Me Love," it was in the car on AM radio with the whole family probably along for the ride, so it was not easy to hear. I was pretty sure I heard:

"Give me hope, pass the Coke ..."

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Coldplay already stole your schtick. :)

10. Dick Whitman

Did they? I thought maybe the Black Crowes had used it, too, at least during the playlist, if not as the final song.

Coolest entrance music I can remember was Cross Canadian Ragweed entering to "Smoke Two Joints" by Sublime. U2 is using "Rainy Night in Soho" by the Pogues on this tour. Also cool.

11. Dick Whitman

My friends had a band in college and they came on to "She's a River" by Simple Minds, which I thought was a cool choice.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Best album = 'Revolver'
    Best song = 'I Dig a Pony'

Draft saved Draft deleted